• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Harry123

Beginning Online 3D games

This topic is 4228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have C++ and C# experience(Windows Applications) but I wish to create an online 3D game (A sports game like soccer or something- I have not decided which sport yet). Could someone tell me exactly is the best place to start? I have seen lots and lots of information on 3D game engines, 3D programming courses(which I need to sign up for and pay lots of money!), etc. I would be grateful if someone could tell me what technologies I need to learn (flash etc) Thanks for any help you guys can give me. Harry

Advertisement
I work on FPS games and I started with level design by makeing levels for other people's games. Quake, Fear, Gore, Etc.. Then I got into make new objects by using 3ds max and other 3d modeling programs. Again some games come with the plugins so you import your stuff. Next I went into c++ programming and learned how to add new game modes to other people's games. I read the books that are recommended here on. Go under Resources -> For Beginners (at the top of the page). There is alot of get info on how to get started. For me it worked best to mod these games until I gained enough knowledge to do my own stuff. You get most of the stuff you need for free. You already have an editor and source for free and you can post your mods for free and have people try them out. The disadvantage is you won't get paid for it. Anyway unless you have a team your game won't be any bigger then a cell phone game or a tetris clone. Which isn't bad it is a great place to start to learn everything from A to Z.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!