function question

Started by
3 comments, last by Zahlman 16 years, 11 months ago
Lets say I have a function which is called by an object. Is there any way to know what object called the function? Apart from simply passing a memory address when you call the function?
scottrick49
Advertisement
What language are you using?
Some example code/pseudocode?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Most languages have some kind of "self" or "this" reference. For example, in C++ "this" is a pointer to the current object. In Java, "this" is an object reference. In Lua "self" is an object/table reference.
I'm using C / C++.

I don't have any pseudo code atm, but I have a feeling there isn't a way other than passing some information about the caller as a parameter.
scottrick49
Quote:Original post by scottrick49
I'm using C / C++.

I don't have any pseudo code atm, but I have a feeling there isn't a way other than passing some information about the caller as a parameter.

Hold on, so you want something like this?

class Receiver {  void receive() const;};class Sender {  void sendTo(const Receiver&);};void Sender::sendTo(const Receiver& r) {  r.receive();}void Receiver::receive() const {  // which Sender instance called me?}

Yes, you would have to pass the Sender explicitly (accept a const Sender& in receive(), and have sendTo pass '*this' as the parameter when making the call). Keep in mind that as it stands, the "caller" doesn't have to be a Sender object - or for that matter, *any object at all*; you could do "Receiver().receive()" directly in main(), for example.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement