• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Aufderheide

Procedural terrain texturing

This topic is 4145 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if anyone has a some ideas about the major methods for procedural texturing of things like terrain with GPUs. I realize there is probably a lot of info available about this subject but frankly its all rather confusing to me, because there seems to be no standard approach, nor any kind of common basis from which to move on. Obviously I have explored Perlin noise and so on, and the results are useful for sure, but far from really flexible enough. Anyone who has used Bryce 3D can understand what I'm looking for.

Advertisement
look for "Appearance-space texture synthesis" & "Parallel controllable texture synthesis" 's paper at http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/.

They use Principal Components Analysis to synthetise seamless texture, video is explicit. No source code available.

One of the ShaderX books (I thought 4, but might be 3) also has a chapter on a texturing technique quite comparable to the one used in Terragen.

Just two links so you can see what can be done with (perlin) noise:

Old Ysaneya Journal posts with lots of ideas

libnoise example: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/examples/complexplanet/index.html (forum doesnt like my linkification :/ )

I don't really understand what you mean with not flexible enough ? (I haven't used Bryce3D ;) ) Do you mean that it's hard to get enough variation in the textures or do you think that you don't get enough local control over how the textures will look ?

Quote:
Original post by Matt Aufderheide
...procedural texturing of things like terrain with GPUs.

I think,that procedural automatic placement
( slope/height sencitive textures in Bryce) only can be useful
for landscape -like some kind of phisical modelling
(grass or sand never can be at precipice etc.)
Because of human opinion about something ( "it looks like...")
actually is a result of unthinkable work in mind.And you must
to make model of this work before. It's nonstandard kind
of recognition-without reference image:)
In case if you want just to make unique appearance for each part
of landscape-you can use (for example) 3D-textures with "natural"
information and some kind of procedural random mixing.

[Edited by - Krokhin on May 17, 2007 9:07:15 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!