• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
banhminds

Type of game for contest play it safe, or go all out?

This topic is 4148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm entering in this gamedev contest and I was curious would it be better to play it safe and create a "type" of game that has been done before that is fun like a 2D scroll adventure game with my own images, and story, or Be as creative, unique, and bizzare as I can and create a type of game that hasn't really been either popular, done before at all, and just have it really fun, addicting, fast, and unique and hope it stands out and win? I'm curious, I'm worried, but I have 4 months to make it. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
What contest is it?

In almost all cases, you are better off being original, especially when you're on a tight schedule. If you try and "improve" on a genre that already exists, you will almost certainly fall short of your goal. Keep in mind that Brain Age, a ridiculously simple game, took a professional dev team 4 months to make. It takes alot of content, and alot of polish, to compete with the big guys.

If you only have 4 months to develop it, make a game that you can have playable in a month, and feature complete in two. This sounds crazy, but you're trying to innovate in a very short time frame. You need to play it as soon as possible, have others play it in every stage of development, and maximize the amount of time you have to perfect the gameplay and polish the presentation. I could write a crude Bejeweled prototype in a day, but it would take months to turn it into a polished gem.

Rumble Box was playable in 3 months. The next 5 months were spent making it fun to play. If we had decided for something more complex that wasn't playable until 5-6 months, it would have turned out a mediocre game with a unique but undeveloped concept. And that's not what you want.

Quote:
Original post by banhminds
I'm entering in this gamedev contest and I was curious would it be better to play it safe and create a "type" of game that has been done before that is fun like a 2D scroll adventure game with my own images, and story, or

Be as creative, unique, and bizzare as I can and create a type of game that hasn't really been either popular, done before at all, and just have it really fun, addicting, fast, and unique and hope it stands out and win?

I'm curious, I'm worried, but I have 4 months to make it.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with JBourrie, and I would also like to add that if in fact you do make a game that is creative, unique, bizarre, really fun, hasn't been done before, addicting, fast, then I'm sure that's plenty enough for your game either to win or get enough recognition and respect, and hopefully players, that it's equally as good as winning 1st place. And if your game is unique and bizarre its certainly going to stand out and be remembered over some 2D side scroller clone of a decent game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!