Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 10 Developing?

This topic is 3867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking about start working with DirectX 10 and I have a few questions. • Do I need to have Windows Vista installed to develop? • Do I need DirectX 10 compatible hardware to develop? • Will the applications I produce run at full capacity on Windows Vista + nVidia 8000 systems? Thanks

Quote:
Original post by 51mon
• Do I need to have Windows Vista installed to develop?

Yeah, you need to have Vista to run it. While you could, in theory, write the code on an XP machine, you'll never be able to test it.
Quote:
Original post by 51mon
• Do I need DirectX 10 compatible hardware to develop?

Not really, but it would be highly recommended. You can always use the REF rast to test your code and see how it works, but the REF rast can be extremely slow on complex scenes. This can be very frustrating, so hardware acceleration is highly recommended, and requires a D3D10 capable card (NV 8, or ATI 2600s).
Quote:
Original post by 51mon
• Will the applications I produce run at full capacity on Windows Vista + nVidia 8000 systems?

I'm not too sure what you mean by full capacity. They'll run as fast as they can if you build them in release. Not quite sure what else you'd want.

Thanks, that cleared things up. Then I need to buy Vista or is there any free ways if you just want to develop? And VS 2005 still work fine as environment, right?

[Edited by - 51mon on May 17, 2007 3:31:09 AM]

Quote:
Original post by 51mon
Thanks, that cleared things up. Then I need to buy Vista or is there any free ways if you just want to develop? And VS 2005 still work fine as environment, right?

I don't think there are any ways to legally get Windows Vista for free. Maybe there are som student licenses or something but i'm not sure. VS 2005 still work fine :)

Good Luck!

As far as i'm aware the student editions are probably as cheap as you can get them (look up "MSDN Academic Alliance"), otherwise you'll have to pay regular retail price. Bare in mind that any version of Vista should be sufficient - you don't need the premium/ultimate editions.

As for VS2005 - you'll need to download service pack 1 and the Vista update to SP1 before it'll work properly. At least that's the official line... I was using VS'05 on Vista for about 6 months prior to SP1 coming out and I never had any problems [smile]

hth
Jack

This topic is 3867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.