Sign in to follow this  

Physics SDK?

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There are loads. Newton, Bullet and ODE are free, TrueAxis is fairly cheap, and I believe that PhysX is now free (it previosly cost hundreds of thousands of dollars). There's always Havok as well, but that's far too expensive for most independant developers. All of those will handle thousands of objects.

Hope that was helpful.

As beebs suggested, PhysX SDK is now free - PhysX SDK has always been free to developers if they could show that there is a significant difference when a user has the PhysX accelerator installed if not then they would have to pay.

I believe PhysX would be a better alternative to Newton, ODE etc... although I've always liked Newton, but I think if you want extra 'oomph' with the added benefit of a dedicated Physics processor then AGEIA PhysX is the way to go.

try both, see how you feel

Hm, according to AGEIA site:

Quote:

The AGEIA PhysX SDK is free for non-commercial use. Standard pricing for commercial use is $50,000/title/platform. Licensed developers who implement PhysX accelerator support in their PC title are not required to pay this fee.

So it depends if your game is going to be freeware or not.

Anyway, Newton is quite good, I'm using it for my game. It certainly can handle more than 200 objects at a good framerate, unless those objects are stacked together. Also, you can tweak some parameterers to get more performance, at the cost of less exact simulation.

this is from the developer section

Quote:
How do I become a licensed developer and what are the licensing terms?

Costs

At present, the following two options are all that are available. We will likely never provide any sort of royalty-based license. Open-source usage is limited only to the most middleware-friendly license model--in other words, we retain full ownership and rights to our own IP, and what you ship of ours will still be specified by contract.

Free:

* Commercial & non-commercial use on PC
o Must keep registration information currect
o Must agree to the EULA at the time of download (pops up, but is copied below)
o Available for Windows & Linux (soon)
o No PhysX HW support requirement
* PS3 platform (through Sony pre-purchase)
* All platforms through some of our middleware partnerships, such as UE3, Gamebryo 2.2, and others

$50k per platform:

* Xbox 360
* Fee may be waived at our discretion for multi-platform developers providing PC HW support
* Fee may be waived at our discretion for some Tools & Middleware providers

according to this you can use the SDK free when develop for PC, also Hardware support is not required, hmm... it used to be, oh well... good news ;o)

Quote:
Original post by mikeman
It certainly can handle more than 200 objects at a good framerate, unless those objects are stacked together.

They were stacked together in the program I used. And in my game they will mostly be stacked together. Would PhysX do stacked objects better? There could be thousands of stacked objects.

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.