Sign in to follow this  

Floating point textures + linear filtering

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I've ran into some problems with floating point textures. It seems that linear filtering is disabled by default? It's quite obvious with the grainy flickering pixelation that nearest filtering is in use, even though I specify linear filtering. This is how I set up my textures:
#define        RGBA16F_ARB                      0x881A

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, RGBA16F_ARB, width, height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_BYTE, NULL);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

I should add that I have an ATI card, X1950 series. I'm using this in combination with FBOs. Also, standard GL_RGBA textures works fine.. My question is, is the FBO implementation lacking so much that only nearest filtering is supported, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

I wouldn't be surprised if linear filtering wasn't properly implemented. Although linear filtering on floating-point textures is a relatively new feature. I know it works on nVidia's G80 cards (what doesn't [smile]) with their OpenGL drivers, but I have no idea about ATI. For the record, I was only able to get nearest-point filtering on my Radeon 9800 Pro, but that's a really old card.

If you're not seeing it, but you can correctly change the filtering mode with other texture formats, then in all likelyhood the drivers/hardware don't support it.

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.