Sign in to follow this  

YouTube for 3D-Models

This topic is 3854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have participated in a project, called MADLIX, which is a web art gallery for 3D models and I mean in full 3D! You can pan, zoom and examine the mesh live in your browser, no installs needed! Everything works as YouTube, but for 3D-models, instead of films. It doesn't matter if you are a proffessional artist or amateur - everyone is invited to upload their models to MADLIX. Take the chanse to show off for your family and friends, or why not impress employers! Another oportunity is to embedd models from MADLIX in YOUR OWN site. A great oportunity to create your own full 3D gallery, with the possibility to view your 3D art live, from any angle. If you are creating a game with participants from all over the world, MADLIX will provide a smart way to to keep track of the games 3D model/level progress. Enough spam talk! Take a look at MADLIX and see for yourself! Needless to say, evrything is for free. www.madlix.com Please send us feedback dierctly in this thread! //Lasse Wedin [Edited by - Nostromo on May 17, 2007 9:56:57 AM]

Hi!

The site looks very nice. Good work! However, I cannot preview any of the models. First I got error about lack of Java support on my machine. So I installed it. Now I get 'Initialization Failed' when selected model is being loaded. I am using IE7.0. How can I overcome the problem ?

Regards!

Pretty cool [smile]

The rotation function could use some work though, other than that its great.

Edit: Also, the Standalone Exporter does nothing for me (I run it, nothing happens, I get nothing if I run it from a cmd window either).

[Edited by - Kwizatz on May 18, 2007 11:35:06 PM]

Very nice.

As an artist, I think the background of the viewport should be set by the artist, and not white all the time. There was a nice model called family, and it was dark, with a light in the middle of the model. It looks funny on the such a contrasting background. It belongs on a darker background, the option should be there to properly present your work.

This reminded me of all the reasons I disable the Java VM in my broswer. I hate Java stuff with a passion because of the VM program. This is not directed towards you or your site. [lol]

Thank you all for your possitive feedback! =)

@ Enmaniac

I do not know right away how you can overcome this problem. We are trying to figger out the cause. I let you know as soon as we know. By the way, what happens if you try viewing it in a different browser?

@ WanMaster

"You > Google"
Thats just great! =D So i guess we have to live up to that from now on...
Thanks a bunch for the tip about SketchUp warehouse

@ Kwizatz

Glad you liked it. I think you are right about the rotation. It is verry free, maybee too free, as you can "roll" the modells in all directions, like on one of those old "tracker balls" (like the early days computer mouse substitute). I have recently implemented a new rotation like that one in Maya. In this rotation you can rotate the model around its y-axis(mouse horizontaly) and the y-axis itself can be rotated around the cameras x-axis(mouse verticaly). (hope my explanation makes any sense) What is your opinion about such a rotation? Would it suite our application better? (the old one is still on the site)?

Im sorry the Standalone Exporter didn't work for you. We are working on it right now. I will write back to you when it is fixed.

@Vampyre_Dark

I think the arguments in your example makes sense - not only the model, but also the background(color) is a part of the scene that is to be chosen by the artist, right? When it comes to your hate towards Java, i cannot help you =D Thanks alot for your artistic feedback.

I'm using FF 2.0 and it works pretty well for me.

My only complaint is that I can't zoom, rotate, or move smoothly. For instance, I'll rotate the model then it'll just freeze for about 5 seconds and then allow me to rotate again. It even happens when I go, for example, from zooming to moving.

Is it my computer, connection, or the software?

Another one of those... =/ This freeze bug is known to us, and seems to appear on laptops only. Did you use a laptop? It has something to do with the software in combination with certain hardware. The connection is not the one to blame. What graphics card do you use?

Great that you noticed this bug, it is essential to be able to make it all run smoothly on all platforms. Thanks!

Worked fine for me.

Does it support animation of models?

As you mentioned, the rotation was not great. After a bit of rotation, the models usually lean to the side and I have to figure out how to rotate them to make them stand up. It would be nice if there was a way to rotate about the Z axis (into pic) but I guess you have no more buttons.

Maybe you could rotate based on where the mouse is when pressed.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

4,6: Rotate around Y (ignore mouse y movement)
2,8: Rotate around X (ignore mouse x movement)
1,3,7,9: Rotate around Z

Also the rotation seems to me to be too slow - too much mouse movement needed.

@ tag

The new maya-style rotation is now up and running. Try it out! What is your opinion? Is it to locked, as you cant pose the moddel in all possible angles?

Thanks for your idea. It will surely come in handy if we need to develop the rotation further. I never thought of the idea to split the viewport into several regions, as you mentioned.

Well, yes i agree; the rotation is a bit slow... more mouse sensitivity needed.

@Eitsch

No you didn't miss anything. It is windows only at the moment. We are currently developing an online exporter so that you will be able to upload the models in the same manner as you watch them now. The maya integration will stay windows only though.

Sign in to follow this