Sign in to follow this  

Seeking math help

This topic is 3866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks. I been game programming for some 4 months now and I have a healthy collection of games under my belt, but I have hit a bit of a wall. My math knowledge is very weak indeed. All the games I have made so far have contained math as basic as I can get my head around and I feel that in order for me to progress I need overcome my fear. Could anyone point me toward a good book/tutorial that is not afraid of speaking down to beginners? Most online documentation I have found so far has just reinforced what my parents always used to tell me about paying attention at school. All my games so far are in 2 dimensions and I have no plans for upgrading for some time yet. Specifically I am looking for information on how angles relate to the x, y coordinates of my game screen. So far I have only had spites moving up-down-left-right. I am lost when it comes moving a sprite at a predefined angle across the screen (entering random x,y coordinates until it looks right is becoming rather time-consuming). I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

funny you ask to be pointed in the right direction when your post is about angles [smile]

keyword of what you seek is Trigonometry,

in short:

radius * cos(angle) = X location (from -radius to +radius)
radius * sin(angle) = Y location

if you change radius to speed you get X movement

Ahh trigonometry that is one of those words that hypnotist guy used to say at school. Thanks for the pointer that is just what i need for my Googling. Google my be great but no matter how many time you type in "help me I am dumb" it never seems to give you the right answer.

Thanks again for the help.

This topic is 3866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.