Sign in to follow this  

I need some advice

This topic is 3862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I used to program frequently and was getting my feet wet in some graphics. The problem is that recently ( like 2 months ago ) I started getting back into making music and playing video games like crazy, which took all my time. I wish I didnt take a 2 month break... :( I want to get back into programming (C++), but I don't know whether I should read my C++ book again and do the exercises again or just start a text based RPG and learn things again as I go along. What do you guys think? Any advice?

If you had a reasonable grasp on the language before you took a break you should be able to jump back in where you left off. I would suggest just sit down and write some code and see how much comes back to you. If you struggle with certain areas re-read the appropriate chapters of your books.

Well if you knew enough 2 months ago to make a text-based RPG, then start making a text-based RPG now. When you run into problems, find your favorite C++ tutorials website, and then you're able to quickly reference whatever you need online. This is usually what online tutorials are best used for; as a reference to previously learned knowledge. It'd be much easier to find what you're looking for and see some example code by looking online than it would be to get out your huge C++ book and look through the index, then read code snippets between paragraphs of text.
MAKE A SWEET RPG!

This topic is 3862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.