virginia tech memorial game

Started by
24 comments, last by pinacolada 16 years, 11 months ago
Umm... there is one. It's been all over our news. Here is an article.
Advertisement
A "memorial" game isn't as disgusting as a "rampage" game, but unless all of the proceeds from the game are sent to the victims of the tragedy, it's still exploitative. Don't turn game making into a form of ambulance chasing.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
A "memorial" game isn't as disgusting as a "rampage" game, but unless all of the proceeds from the game are sent to the victims of the tragedy, it's still exploitative. Don't turn game making into a form of ambulance chasing.

For the record, I never said anything about making money in my original post, nor do I think it's a good idea. It goes against the idea of opening the experience up to anyone who wants to participate in a community effort. And it's obviously exploitative.

I hope most people will at least credit me with good intentions, even if my methods seem to be universally derided.
I completely agree with Hushed.

Unless you are directly involved with the event it's best to leave it well alone. Let people be in peace.

As for the VT Rampage game. It was developed by a naive, spoiled kid in my opinion. He was later quoted as saying the "give me money and I'll remove it" demand was a joke in an attempt to prove some point, but largely hes just an idiot and is getting more publicity than he deserves.
Quote:Original post by bdoskocil
Quote:Original post by LessBread

For the record, I never said anything about making money in my original post, nor do I think it's a good idea. It goes against the idea of opening the experience up to anyone who wants to participate in a community effort. And it's obviously exploitative.

I hope most people will at least credit me with good intentions, even if my methods seem to be universally derided.

Fair enough. I'm not directing this next remark at you, but I think we should remember that in the aftermath of the Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, con-men set up bogus aid agencies to collect donations. A "memorial" game has the potential to serve just such a scam.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

I guess. Do you suppose that the plumbers of the world are wondering how to use plumbing as a positive force in the wake of the tragedy?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

I guess. Do you suppose that the plumbers of the world are wondering how to use plumbing as a positive force in the wake of the tragedy?

No.

Nor are they struggling to define and defend their medium's valuable contributions to society.
They might be...

No.

Nor are they struggling to define and defend their medium's valuable contributions to society.

Do you have any personal attachment to the shootings at VA Tech? Do you know any of the victims? Have you been affected by any other similar shootings? The idea of making a "memorial" game if you can't relate to the incident seems insincere at best.

Danny Ledonne (SCMRPG!) was a Colorado student social-outcast who could relate to the columbine shooters, and his personal experiences are what made SCMRPG! sincere and thought provoking. Ryan Lambourn (VT Rampage) was in no way affected by the VT shootings, his game is purely exploitative.

Which one do you think you would resemble more, if you were to make this game?

Quote:We have to demonstrate to the public that games are a worthy medium for expression and exploration of serious ideas.

I think this would be a great way to demonstrate that games have more to offer society than being simple "murder simulators"

I don't doubt you have good intentions. But it sounds like you want to make this game to "prove" that games have social worth. Are you the right person to do that, in the context of the VT shootings?

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by JBourrie

No.

Do you have any personal attachment to the shootings at VA Tech? Do you know any of the victims? Have you been affected by any other similar shootings? The idea of making a "memorial" game if you can't relate to the incident seems insincere at best.

Danny Ledonne (SCMRPG!) was a Colorado student social-outcast who could relate to the columbine shooters, and his personal experiences are what made SCMRPG! sincere and thought provoking. Ryan Lambourn (VT Rampage) was in no way affected by the VT shootings, his game is purely exploitative.

Which one do you think you would resemble more, if you were to make this game?

Quote:We have to demonstrate to the public that games are a worthy medium for expression and exploration of serious ideas.

I think this would be a great way to demonstrate that games have more to offer society than being simple "murder simulators"

I don't doubt you have good intentions. But it sounds like you want to make this game to "prove" that games have social worth. Are you the right person to do that, in the context of the VT shootings?

I do not have any direct personal attachment to the VTech shootings, although, like most people, I have lost somebody close to me. I don't think, however, that that should determine my sincerity.

In actuality, I never intended to make this game personally, but rather to discuss how somebody might make such a game, and what it might look like. The consensus seems to be it's not possible (at least by me).

I suppose I'm not the right person to attempt it, since I seem to be having a difficult time even convincing people of the value of attempting it, so I will now withdraw and leave the discussion to others.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement