Sign in to follow this  

Searching for an ADSL router

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I need some help finding an ADSL router. I have a quite extensive list of requirements, but there *has* to be a device out there that has it all. I found several good candidates but they all fail on one or more points. Specifically: I haven't found one that does VIOP *and* gigabit ethernet. Here's what I need: * ADSL and ADSL2 * 10/100/1000 Mbit ethernet, 4 ports minimum * 802.11g Wifi * DHCP that knows hostnames (I'm tired of editing my /etc/hosts on every computer all the time) * QoS (Quality of Service) so I can give VoiP higher priority than e.g. my nightly backups * VoiP (that is, I want to be able to hook a regular phone up. I bought an expensive phone last year and I don't want to buy a special VoiP phone with an ethernet connection). * NAT, port forwarding, etcetera. The standard options. Oh, and preferably it runs Linux or is flashable with Linux. The closest I found so far is a Linksys. Very nice with 2 VoiP ports but only 100Mbit ethernet. I want Gigabit because all my computers have Gigabit NICs. Thanks in advance!

"Because my computers have gig-E NICs" isn't really a great reason to spring for a gig-E switch, particularly as ADSL doesn't even come close to saturating a 10Base-T link. If you have a specific reason to want a gigabit intranet link, though, I'd really suggest getting a separate gig-E switch to plug into the router. The switch stuff included in most off-the-shelf "family Internet" devices isn't that great, and if you actually need gig-E it almost certainly won't suffice.

I have a bunch of servers and I regularly move large amounts of data across my local network. Gig-E will also help me with my backups (all my PC's backup /home and /etc to the fileserver on reboot and shutdown).

Quote:
The switch stuff included in most off-the-shelf "family Internet" devices isn't that great, and if you actually need gig-E it almost certainly won't suffice.

What features would a separate switch offer that an off-the-self device doesn't?

Speed, basically. Your average D-Link gig-E internet router might technically be able to communicate using 1000Base-T frames, but its backplane is unlikely to be capacious enough to actually maintain those speeds. A good Cisco switch will give you some extra features, I guess, but what it will really give you is actual switched gigabit ethernet performance.

EDIT: Actually, looking around it seems like some of the more recent consumer-level gig-E switches might actually be relatively fast. If you're in a situation where a particular product is almost perfect and just missing the switching you want, though, getting a separate switch might still be a good idea.

[Edited by - Sneftel on May 18, 2007 10:03:23 PM]

I would get a router that has everything except the GigE ports, and then I would get a separate GigE switch. Plug all the local computers, and the DSL modem/router, into the GigE switch. Problem solved.

Btw: are you sure you don't want 802.11n? Buying a g now is like buying a b 5 years ago -- likely to soon seem short-sighted.

Yup. A router that does VioP and a Gigabit switch is what I'm looking for now. Unmanaged switches aren't that expensive (I say an 8-port netgear for $70 on newegg) and I saw a nice Linksys.

About 802.11n: There's two problems with 802.11n. First, it doesn't exist yet. The standard isn't finalized until 2008/2009. The second problem is -- again -- functionality. I can find nice 802.11n access points in an ADSL2 modem but not combined with standard phone jacks to hook up my regular phone for VOIP.

Sign in to follow this