How much OOP is too much OOP?

Started by
22 comments, last by ToohrVyk 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Nypyren
I was trying to get people to wonder why there is not a tolower method on the std::string CLASS itself. std::string is a class, in a language touted for object oriented features, not for functional features. I apologize for not being painfully direct in my posts.

So to you, OOP equals putting *everything* inside the same class?
The ultimate OOP design would be to have one master class that contains every bit of functionality you might need to operate on its data (which obvious is everything)

Sure, that's an extreme example, but consider, why should something like tolower() be a member function? Yes, it's a common operation, but I don't recall reading any OOP gurus say "all common operations shall be made members of the class they operate on". If that was followed strictly, we would quickly end up with the one master class described above.

Quote:Obviously native "int foo[]" arrays don't have their own iterators in C++, either, because they are not a class. The iterators you use for them are external, providing access to native types, and as such there is nothing preventing you from also creating container objects that reference an underlying native type in the same manner.

They do have iterators. External or not, they work like iterators, so they are iterators.
But please show how you'd implement a tolower() member function on a char* [wink]
That's one reason why it makes some sense to have it as a free function. It's not tied to any particular representation of the string, they just have to have iterators you can work on. Allowing me to reuse the tolower() function on my own custom string class sounds object-oriented to me. Modularity, loose coupling, code reuse and all that.

Why should I restrict my tolower() function to only work on *my* strings, when the exact same code could work on *any* string type, even native ones like char*'s?
Advertisement
Quote:
I wasn't trying to focus on the functional code itself (it's debatable whether performing a mutable string operation is actually functional),

Off topic, I know, but why do you view that as being debatable? A string is just a list of characters. Mapping a function over a list is as functional as it gets.
In functional languages, immutability is much more common than mutability. The mapping mutates the string in place, wich arguably makes it less functional.
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt
The mapping mutates the string in place, wich arguably makes it less functional.

It's indeed less functional. But it's still more functional than it is object-oriented.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement