Sign in to follow this  

VB and Telnet?

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am getting back into programming, and my end goal is to make a full MUD engine. I would like to use Visual Basic for a few particular reasons, although I know it is not the main language used (which is C/C++). I know I am not ready to start working on that yet, and won't be for a long time. But before I really get into it, I just wanted to make sure that VB can do what I will need it to. I only ask this because I did a Google search for how to set up a telnet server with VB 2005, just to see a tutorial and see what it looks like, but I could not find anything at all. VB 2005 can run Telnet servers, right? I had assumed it would, but not I am not so sure without an addon program. VB does have native ability to set up telnet, correct? (Sorry if this is a very stupid question, as I don't know very much about Telnet at all lol). Thank you!

just to make it clear VB 2005 is microsofts current releases of the development environment for the language vb.net

vb.net is more than capable of making a telnet mud and could make almost any type of game, if you've heard otherwise they were probably talking about vb6

despite syntax vb.net and vb6 are completely different languages, vb.net is a modern language with capability's similar to c# while vb6 is somewhat limited and no longer supported language

EDIT:
try googleing vb.net telnet

This page demonstrates basic use of the .NET Telnet class in VB.NET. It demonstrates how to write a client, rather than a server, but there's enough to get you started.

Perhaps more pertinent is this thread. The first response gives full source for a working (almost) .NET Telnet server. I hope you can translate between C# and VB, though.

And for the record, VB6 is more than capable of producing a Telnet server - I've had many successes with the Winsock OCX.

Admiral

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.