Sign in to follow this  

Making a simple map editor for a 3D game?

This topic is 3867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I think this would be for a bigginer going into the secand level of DirectX programming, but I want to make a simple map editor. Like add model here and do level settings. I.E Fog Start, Gravity, etc. Just a simple 3d window with a menu and tree bar on the top or side to do any saving or adding a model. Then when you save it you can start your own littal game engine and fly around in camrea view in it. I do have the idea where to biggin, but don't know how to start something like that in Visual Studios 2005 C#. Any good places where to start?

Well, first of all you should learn the basics. I suggest you start by browsing through gamedevs articles (Resources->Articles), also Game Tutorials has loads of tutorials, although those are not free.

Another thing you definetly should do is to buy books, so go to Resources->Books and pic your own. :)

I do have a DirectX book, but its for C++ and I like C#. :( So I'll check around the site and see what I can find that catches my intrest.

Thanks anyways.

:) Just 2 minutes ago I downloaded wxWidgets to work on my own 3D editor in C++. What I'm doing right now is making a plan with all the things I want my editor to be capable of.

- The editor must be able to run on multiple operating systems.

This I'm trying to solve by using wxWidgets. My engine has a D3D9GraphicsDevice and an OpenGLGraphicsDevice so it should work on Linux as well as on Windows.

- It should have mutltiple viewports, front, side, top and realtime.

I have to make sure my rendering pipeline is ok. 3D object picking will be hard to create I think...

- It should be possible to load multiple file formats, when saving the map it should save the map to it's own file format. This file format should be optimized for my engine.

Creating all kind of importers will probably take some time...

- Integrate the editor with my engine.

When I change something in the rendering pipeline of my engine, it should be changed in the editor too.

My advice to you: Make up a plan with all kind of things you want your editor to be capable of. Just like I did. Try to minimalize your codebase. You can reuse your engine code for your editor.

This topic is 3867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.