How do I install Lazarus/Free Pascal on UBUNTU Christian Edition

Started by
12 comments, last by Catafriggm 16 years, 11 months ago
G'day All, I am a long time Micro$oft Windows user (or ex-user) and I have now made my Operating System 100% Linux Ubuntu Christian Edition. When I used to use Windows I enjoyed the challenge of programming in Delphi 3,5 & 7. I have been advised that the way for me to go now would be for me is to install Lazarus & Free Pascal (which apparently comes packaged with Lazarus). Can someone pls advise me the following: a) where can I download Lazarus suitable for UBUNTU Christian Edition OS b) what are the steps I need to take to install it. Note that I am not yet comfortable with the command shells. c) are there some free online guides to Lazarus. Yours Sincerely and With Best Wishes, petethepoet signing off from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Advertisement
You can get it via Synaptic, but not using the default setup. You need to enable the sinners_main repository (Ubuntu CE only enables repositories that are known sin-free out of the box), which is not enabled by default. Sadly, Ubuntu CE cuts out the GUI option for that repository, and you have to edit a config file to enable it. I don't remember what config file -- it's listed under man 666 apt-get, and CE doesn't include that man page in the default installation (they only have a couple sets, probably to keep the base download size down).

Maybe someone can fire up a Ubuntu machine and check that man page.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Maybe someone can fire up a Ubuntu machine and check that man page.

Being an atheist, I lack the belief in the existance of hellfire required to fire up an Ubuntu CE machine. I can at best offer a cursory Google Query or two.
Man, why the hell(Oops) are they making Christian operating systems? What does it make so special that it can't be spread like a regular Ubuntu distro?

Toolmaker

Quote:Original post by Toolmaker
Man, why the hell(Oops) are they making Christian operating systems? What does it make so special that it can't be spread like a regular Ubuntu distro?

Toolmaker

You obviously didn't go to Sunday school as a child, you non-Christian OS using heathen!

Quote: Promethius 4:16
Promethius said unto them, "Thou shall not use non-Christian operating systems for Pascal programming."

Duh ;-)

Toolmaker

http://christianubuntu.blogspot.com/
It's kosher, duh.

Normal distributions of Linux contain pork byproducts in order to seal in that meaty flavour. Religious distributions instead offer a tofu substitute.

To the OP: You probably have to download Lazarus from their website and compile it yourself; I can't see a package for it on the Ubuntu package browser.
he shouldn't have to compile anything as lazarus is in the universe repo in ubuntu, so you just have to enable universe in synaptic and click the checkmark beside lazarus and the rest should be done for you.

EDIT: lol
Quote:
With Ubuntu Christian Edition, you don't need to surf the web. You can walk on it.
Quote:Original post by Sandman

Toolmaker

Is that for real? A few things there seem like something I would have to call blasphemy if I was still Christian. Really just looks like a bad joke to me.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Quote:Original post by Sandman

Toolmaker

Is that for real? A few things there seem like something I would have to call blasphemy if I was still Christian. Really just looks like a bad joke to me.

*ahem*
Quote:
This blog is only a joke and it's not affiliated with the Ubuntu Christian Edition project.

Although I still have no idea why there is a christian operating system.

It seems to have something to do with this (from the main site):
Quote:
Along with the standard Ubuntu applications, Ubuntu Christian Edition includes the best available Christian software. The latest release contains GnomeSword, a top of the line Bible study program for Linux based on the Sword Project. There are several modules installed with GnomeSword including Bibles, Commentaries, and Dictionaries.

Ubuntu Christian Edition also includes fully integrated web content parental controls powered by Dansguardian. A graphical tool to adjust the parental control settings has also been developed specifically for Ubuntu Christian Edition. These features are truly what sets Ubuntu Christian Edition apart.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement