Animation

Started by
5 comments, last by stonemetal 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi! I've recently started with animation in OpenGL, well more exactly animation that is stored in a specific file, or to say mesh animation. As I've seen skeletal animation is a little more advanced and it's probably best to start from simple mesh animation in order to understand the basics. However I haven't found any good format actually, perhaps the MD2 format interests the most, since it is simple and clear structured. However I cannot export any animation like that with 3DS 9 that I'm making my models in, do you have some tips on either export and import plugins for 3DS that is free, or any other program that I could create and export animations in either the MD2 format or something that is pretty the same? With best regards! Rikard
Advertisement
You may want to check out Blender, if you haven't already. It exports the .MD2 format, along with a very nice assortment of other 3D formats as well. After getting to know it a bit, I've found it to be very flexible and powerful, and it's completely free.

Blender Home Page

Regards,
Scorp
Well thanks in advice, but I really do not like blender (since I cannot handle it right now :)). However I will of course try if I can export some models/animations or do you know any else plugin or program that can export these MD2 animations?

With best regards!
Rikard
Anyone?
I wish I could throw more ideas your way, but I haven't gotten advanced enough to work with mesh animations yet. Hopefully some other members will have some additional ideas perhaps.

Scorp
I like Milkshape. It's not free but it's cheap. I start working in other programs and find myself coming back to it on a regular basis.

Also, I have a friend that swears by Wings3D. I'm pretty sure it handles what you need, but you'll have to check that out on your own. It's free, btw.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
I know you were down on Blender, but have you thought about using it as stop on the way to your goal. Work in 3dmax open it in Blender and Export it in md2 or whatever format you like, since blender can export to just about any format under the sun. I have played with wings3d a very little bit, but I don't think it handles animation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement