• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenGL Cannot get multisampling AA working in glut program

This topic is 4033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My programs use GLUT. I cannot use GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH type smoothing because I can't afford to sort the polygons back to front, and if I don't, there are artifacts when two edges are parallel to each other--the GL_QUADS for example have a diagonal line through them. I tried to get GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB working but it won't. I don't understand why. I tried this demo program: http://www.koders.com/c/fid04C894FE0A826636F976E8E35C156082D269042F.aspx It says multisampling is not supported. This is nuts, because I have a GeForce 6800GS and I've forced 4x FSAA in the driver's control panel (I'm under Windows XP). The AA works in programs I run, so I don't know what I'm missing. I didn't install OpenGL, and the GL headers are just what was there (actually GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB wasn't defined in the headers that glut.h includes, so I had to define it manually). I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it... help!

Advertisement
You should get yourself a extension laoder like GLEW or GLEE.
They take care of loading extensions such as MULTISAMPLE_ARB.

Multisampling works fine on your graphics card I think, but you messed up something on loading that extension. Try it with on of the extension loaders above.

I've having the same problem with GL, so I have some recommendations:

1. Test OpenGL version at runtime. GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB is supported form GL version 2.0 (or maybe 1.5, I'm not sure; google should help if you want).

2. If you detect an old version of GL, try installing new drivers. I have a GeForce 6600 AGP8 and it has 2.0 GL hardware support.

3. Do NOT force antialiasing. It is quite possible that forcing turns the extension GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB off to avoid programs to change antialiasing.

4. Use RivaTuner ;), not NVidia control app, because NVidia app is pretty messy and buggy. Also, you have lots of settings in RivaTuner of which most are explained

I'm not sure how not to force it. Do you mean in the initial setting of display mode?

How do you detect at runtime the OpenGL version?

I never installed OpenGL, just using what came with the PC. Looks like even L_LIGHT_MODEL_COLOR_CONTROL is not defined so I can't add specularity over textures...

Which OpenGL should I install?

I'm looking at http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=46
I included glext.h and wglext.h which has all the defines needed.
Now, since my app is a console app and the GLUT is set to fullscreen so I assume that since I have no window handle I just use null for GetDC.

HDC dc(GetDC(0));
if (!dc) return 0;
PFNWGLCHOOSEPIXELFORMATARBPROC wglChoosePixelFormatARB = (PFNWGLCHOOSEPIXELFORMATARBPROC)wglGetProcAddress("wglChoosePixelFormatARB");
int fmt;
UINT nf;
float attf[] = {0,0};
int atti[] = {WGL_SUPPORT_OPENGL_ARB, GL_TRUE, WGL_ACCELERATION_ARB, WGL_FULL_ACCELERATION_ARB, WGL_COLOR_BITS_ARB, 24, WGL_DEPTH_BITS_ARB, 8, WGL_DOUBLE_BUFFER_ARB, GL_TRUE, WGL_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB, GL_TRUE, WGL_SAMPLES_ARB, 4, 0, 0};
if (!wglChoosePixelFormatARB(dc, atti, attf, 1, &fmt, &nf) || nf <= 1) return 0;
PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd;
int pfi(ChoosePixelFormat(dc, &pfd));
if (!pfi) return 0;

These all work fine (after of course I've initialized thigns by entering fullscreen mode). However, then in the article above he destroys the window an creates a new one with SetPixlelFormat. I don't know if this is compatible with GLUT, since I think that already does a SetPixelFormat internally and I don't know how to reset it. If I call SetPixelFormat after the glutEnterGameMode, it fails. Having to move from GLUT to something else is a problem as I'm using GLUT to handle all windowind and input issues... I don't know what to do :(

It says "glutEnterGameMode can be called when already in game mode. This will destroy the previous game mode window (including any OpenGL rendering state) and create a new game mode window with a new OpenGL rendering context."
However, how to make it use the new pixelformat with the multisampling that I've retreived with the code above?

I need help here...

glut hasnt been updated in years (thus doesnt handle multisample)

sdl OTOH does with

SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS, intended_multisamplebuffers );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES, intended_multisamplesamples );

Well, I turned off stereo in the NVidia driver, and now if force FSAA is on, it works. However, having to force FSAA by the driver is still a crappy solution. I'll try SDL, the downside there being I have a ton of changes to do.

I just hardcoded the extension method in FreeGLUT since source was available. I guess that's that; works now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!