Sign in to follow this  

Eclipse running very slowly

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently switched to Eclipse + CDT for my C++ development needs. Overall it is nice, except for the fact that it is running SO DAMN SLOW! I turned off the indexer and made sure that it was not compiling anything in the background, but it appears to randomly freeze up for minutes at a time for no reason. I can be sitting in the editor, typing, and POOF, it locks up for 30 seconds. Any ideas?

What JVM are you using? What OS? Several linux distros allow you to install either "native" or "gcj" packages for Eclipse, and I have found those to be totally unusable. Using Sun's JVM fixed that for me. If you are running Linux and need help figuring out how to do that, let me know what distro you use and I'll see what I can find. Also, the upcoming Eclipse/CDT releases are much, much better than the current versions. I'd recommend you run the latest milestone build of both Eclipse and the CDT. I posted some thoughts about it in this blog post. Don't use the exact versions I link to in that post, they are out of date now. Anyway, hope that helps.

If you're using Eclipse+CDT on the Mac, then there's no workaround. It really is dog-slow (the SWT implementation is poor, performance wise).

But it's always been reasonably snappy for me on Windows, once indexing is disabled.

What kind of machine do you have? Eclipse gobbles RAM.

Edd

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.