Sign in to follow this  

One Man RTS

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to develop an RTS for the hell of it. I am a programmer, DX, C++... A BIG ZERO FOR ME ON ARTS I ask those with experience, what would be setting the bars too high for a one man team in terms of design.. In terms of terrain, units, control schemes.. I would want to welcome all ideas, whatever it is.

Start with something that uses near to no 'graphics'. Work on a design that relies on things like simple lines and circles to show you what the units are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6a

Use those for units, or your own system that clearly covers everything you need.

I'm personally working on a system similar to it, where all 'units' are a circle with a triangle in one half to show their heading, and the other half of the circle shows the general type, mouse over gives more details.

That's good advice. Take graphics right out of the equation. Heck, an ASCII grid might be a good way to get started. You coul deven make it side-scrolling, like those Flash "Pump Units/Defend Base" games that were so popular a few years ago.

I love Clonk, and I think a lot can be accomplished with side-scrolling terrain and an order queue.

Make a tower defense game. They are rather easy and would give you an idea of how to handle buildings and upgrades and such. Then if you want make some AI for the enemies and let them find a way from a start to a finish. You could later make it so you could build units maybe to perform other things. Seems simple enough in a 2D aspect and would be complicated enough that you'd learn something.

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.