Sign in to follow this  

glGetPixels with GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT always returns 1

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to use glReadPixels with GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT to get the depth value at a given mouse location, so I gan gluUnproject the mouse to world coordinates. However, the depth value returned is always 1, and I don't know what the problem is. I have standard setup: glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DEPTH | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGBA); ... glutEnterGameMode(); ... glCullFace(GL_BACK); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); gluPerspective(60.0f, 2.0f / VH, 0.1f, 8.0f); glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -3.3f); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); ... // Mouse function mx = static_cast<float>(sx); my = static_cast<float>(viewport[3]) - static_cast<float>(sy); float mz; glReadPixels(sx, viewport[3] - my, 1, 1, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, &mz); ... gluUnProject... Above, mz is always returned as 1. I've no idea what's wrong here. The scene is constructed of cubes that are 0.5 to -0.5 in the z dimension and are not translated in the z direction anywhere. I get also the 1 when I click on the background. [Edited by - Prune on May 18, 2007 6:02:22 PM]

It looks to me that you invert the my coord twice?

my = static_cast<float>(viewport[3]) - static_cast<float>(sy);

... and then again in the glReadPixels call...

glReadPixels(sx, viewport[3] - my, 1, 1, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, &mz);

Is this intensional?

I also think it looks a bit odd that you do a translation in your projection matrix.

Also, how do you obtain your mouse coords? if it is with GetCursorPos() you will have your mouse coords in screen-space. You will need to translate the coords to client-space. Use ScreenToClient() to convert them.

ScreenToClient?

It's a full screen glut app. The coordinates returned to the glutMouseFunc are correct in screen space. The translation is because I don't want the camera to be at the origin; I want the cube array to be at origin. The inverted my is the first time inverted for the gluUnProject function. In any case the scene is X/Y symmetric, so that can't make a difference.

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.