Sign in to follow this  

Internship Help

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am a programmer currently in college. I am working on setting up an internship, a step required for graduation at my college. I would love to get an internship in the gaming industry to learn the programming techniques and methodologies I will need for the industry. I have no real clue on where to start on my look for an internship position. I am curious if any of you could please give me some advice on where to start my search. Thanks for any and all help in advance, and I hope you have a great day.

Well, I'm a bit surprised that your school requires you get an internship but doesn't help you out. Usually companies that provide internships are in contact with the schools, so the school could give you information about what internships are available and how to apply. If you're school doesn't provide this, then I don't know where to start haha.

1. Find out which games companies/studios (if any) are in your local area. Sites like www.gamedevmap.com can help with this.

2. Get the phone numbers for each company (off their websites, from the local area phone directory/directories, from a directory enquiry service, etc).

3. Call them up and ask for the name of their Human Resources manager; get through to that person, explain who you are and ask if their company offers internships for programmers (basically the contents of your original post).

The phone is a better way to do this than a letter because its harder to ignore (or bin), though a follow up letter after the phone call is a good idea to jog the HR persons memory and show that you're serious.

Very small studios don't often take on interns because because of the extra time/cost, but many larger studios and publisher owned studios do take interns; some have 'special' relationships with specific games specific university courses though where interns only come from that course.

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.