StarCraft 2!

Started by
124 comments, last by BeanDog 16 years, 9 months ago
I think it depends on what you mean by "strategy." Spells and abilities play a big role in War3 - a huge role. For a simple example, 5 sorceresses can easily beat 5 abominations with polymorph. The undead player's strategy was to go heavy melee - without any anti-caster support. The human player countered this. In this case, the human had a better strategy - BUT it required more clicking, because polymorph isn't auto-cast. However, had the sorceresses just engaged the abominations without the human user controlling them, they would have died in seconds (despite auto-casting slow.) So, I'm not really sure what you're getting at. War3's focus is no micromanagement, it's not a big secret. Perhaps you just prefer macromanagement in your games?

However, an interesting note about the original SC game (popular for it's "large armies" versus "large armies") is that some of the best players in the world play it as if it is War3 - I mean, they can do more things with 2 zerglings than most of us can with 12 dragoons. It's amazing how well they micro in a game not really designed for it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
You know, you don't really have to play that quickly in order to be a great player. 150 actions per second is plenty to be considered an excellent player. Considering that includes both mouse clicks and key presses, that isn't very fast for your hands to have to move.

I'm going to have to assume that was a mistake. The game doesn't even run 150 frames per second on most computers.

It should say 150 actions per minute. However, frames per second have nothing to do with it either way, input is usually in a separate thread.

Most Pro players have around 300 actions per minute (APM).
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Quote:Daniel, when did I talk about opponents? Thats true for me too. When I beat an opponent that had a better strategy just because I knew all the hotkeys better, its not really satisfying.

Right here:

Quote:My grip is, when I play Starcraft or W3, I feel that the best (casual) players dont win because they played a better strategy, they win because they are more efficient better at using the dubious controls and UI. They think less, click faster.

It doesn't take long to memorize hotkeys, and your hands don't even have to move that quickly. Basically, you have to think quickly in addition to thinking "well". Some people would rather not have to think quickly, but don't act like fast-gameplay is a game-design fault.
While we are on the topic of Starcraft controls...

One time I tried to teach my dad to play Starcraft. I wanted him to play a 'real' game since he only played puzzle and card computer games. I sat with him as he began the Terran campaign. Besides noticing he didn't care at all about the story, I observed that all these controls that come so easy for me were totally alien to him, and I am not talking about controls on a high level like actions-per-minute that we concern ourselves with. My dad didn't even know how to scroll the map or give orders for units. He only lasted two missions before declaring it was too boring.

I thought about how I learned this stuff. Basic map scrolling and building I did years before in Sim City, and RTS specific stuff like moving and attacking I learned in Warcraft 1. I haven't tried to teach my dad how to play a 'real' game since. At least my mom will play adventure games.
As the reigning "GDnet Starcraft Champion(tm)" I will not join the Starcraft controls etc discussion and only shout: THIS... IS... STAAARCRAAAFT !*/300 imitation*
Quote:Original post by Eternal
As the reigning "GDnet Starcraft Champion(tm)"

We should have another one of those tournaments.
Quote:Original post by curtmax_0
Meh. Warcraft II was the last good Blizzard game. Starcraft was very uninteresting. This could be decent, but I have a feeling it will be messed up royally like Warcraft III...

Death to the unbeliever! Death!

Quote:
On a side note, I didn't think Blizzard was still making PC games (other than WoW expansions...)

SC2 being released on PCs only gave me a sigh of relief, I was afraid everything would be consoles within a few years. Doesn't look that way anymore.

Edit: Oh, and
STARCRAFT 2 IS COMING OUT!!!!

[Edited by - Senses777 on May 26, 2007 5:21:30 PM]
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Quote:Original post by Eternal
As the reigning "GDnet Starcraft Champion(tm)" I will not join the Starcraft controls etc discussion and only shout: THIS... IS... STAAARCRAAAFT !*/300 imitation*

Memories, memories...

Someone ought to give you a GDNet title.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Are replays from the tournament available somewhere?
I'd like to have a look at them as well.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement