How to render Grass Textures

Started by
5 comments, last by BlazingClaymore 16 years, 11 months ago
So I have some ideas how to render grass textures but I would like to know what you guys think is the best way to do this?. oh and to be clear texture slating you know like in Morrowind or Oblivion so can anyone help me?
Advertisement
I couldn't say for sure, but the Oblivion long grass looks like it's done with clumps of alpha-tested billboards, much like trees are often done. Underneath the slates is a regular planar grass texture, potentially normal-mapped.

Is this what you mean? As far as I can remember, Morrowind didn't have any such grass.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Grass rendering isn't the easiest of all things. There are many, many techniques out there, and usually a few of them are combined to achieve a proper LOD system. I recommend checking out some of the following:

- Vterrain.org
- Graphics Forum FAQ
- Past posts in the Graphics forum
- NVidia SDK
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
No I didn't mean the grass that sticks up I mean the texture on the ground.
Now I see [rolleyes].

slating -> splatting, as in Texture Splatting.
This one's been done to death on the forums, so you should have no problem finding some resources.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
I actually already look at all of them so I'v come to a conclusion. I need to use RGBA color components of my vertices to proform my blending operation on 4 textures like the first one uses the red component for its level of transparence the next one green and so on so is there a way to do it without shaders?
so umm... can someone, anyone reply? thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement