capture audio signal

Started by
2 comments, last by darkweb 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I need to make a Spectrum Analyzer, for that I want to capture the frequency of an audio signal entering the sound card... how can I do this in c#? any libs out there that can give me a hand? Thanks
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
Advertisement
FMod supports .Net so you could use that. It's really an API designed for doing sound in games however it's pretty easy to use and you can easily set it up to record from line in/mic and capture all the sample data for whatever use you want.
DirectSound also offers audio capture via its DirectSoundCaptureBuffer interface. Depending on your ultimate goals, I'd say it's a toss-up between DirectSound and FMOD. FMOD is the nicer of the two libraries, but DirectSound is that little bit more scalable.

Anyway, far more of a concern is finding a good FFT library. I've looked high and low for one that I'm happy with, but have come up empty-handed. Let us know if your search is any different.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
I am currently using FMOD (with C++) myself for pitch detection and it is quite easy. The API has an example of how to do pitch detection and it seems to work fine.
Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement