Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Trying to create a component installation

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've been working hard on a syntax editor/highlight/etc component suite: But I'm having problems creating an installation project. Is there any guides or information on how to make the installer automatically register the assembly (I saw a 'register' property, but it seemed to be for COM only); and possibly have it automatically added to the toolbar list. Thanks in advance!

Hey, firstly I've got to say that looks like a very nice code editor component! I was wondering if this is free/OSS or licensed, too... I tried something myself a while back but never got that far due to the bugs of the RichTextBox control. How are you implementing it generally?

Anyway, what exactly do you mean by register? Unless it's COM, which it isn't, you shouldn't need to register it. I don't have Visual Studio Pro, so I'm not familiar with its installer, but maybe this will be useful to you: http://blogs.msdn.com/chetanc/archive/2005/10/10/479000.aspx.

Hope that helps...

[Edited by - alex_myrpg on May 20, 2007 8:03:12 AM]

> Hey, firstly I've got to say that looks like a very nice code editor component!

Thanks :) I've encountered much pain creating it, including the wife nagging about spending too much time on it :p

> I was wondering if this is free/OSS or licensed, too...
Well I'm trying to start a business so I can work from home, so I'll most definatly end up selling this. But I ~MAY~ release a stripped down version for free that would be good enough for someone who needs basic syntax highlighting functionality.

> I tried something myself a while back but never got that far due to the bugs of the RichTextBox control. How are you implementing it generally?
100% from scratch. The only non-custom thing I use is the scrollbars (H and V scroll) and the flashy cursor (use the true windows cursor thing).

> Anyway, what exactly do you mean by register? Unless it's COM, which it isn't, you shouldn't need to register it. I don't have Visual Studio Pro, so I'm not familiar with its installer, but maybe this will be useful to you: http://blogs.msdn.com/chetanc/archive/2005/10/10/479000.aspx.
Perfect, thanks

Also, I will need testers at some point so if you would like to help me test, I may let you have the component set for free.

Thanks again :)

Oh, and here's an update with my html highlighter attached:

Hey, can't blame you for selling a component like this... I've seen a few similar things on the market and I'm sure you could easily create some competition there.
Implementing a control like this from scratch was just what I was thinking after giving up on the RichTextBox idea - you too may have found all the nasty quirks of the standard Windows Controls once you get into the gritty parts.

Anyway glad that helps... I would be glad to help you beta test this, and even keener to use it as a possible XML/C# editor in the World Editor for my game - but I should be able to fit it in some time even if you can't release any freebies! I've dropped you a PM with my contact info.

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.