SDL or Allegro

Started by
3 comments, last by valsar 16 years, 11 months ago
Which one is easiest to use? Also, if it isn't to much of a hassle, could someone link me to a couple of good tutorials for both libraries so that I have an easier time learning them. Thanks. Oh, I'm using C++ and VS.net if that matters for anything.
Advertisement
So no one knows which one is easiest to use or any good tutorials for both of them?
Quote:Original post by valsar
Which one is easiest to use?

Also, if it isn't to much of a hassle, could someone link me to a couple of good tutorials for both libraries so that I have an easier time learning them.

Thanks.

Oh, I'm using C++ and VS.net if that matters for anything.

Here's an easier question what's the meaning of life, the unified theory, or what exactly is gravity?

I prefer just researching on both of them. I can personally say SDL is a piece of cake, well sorta in areas, and I can say I haven't used allegro, but good luck. If allegro is easier if you find this answer out let me know.

Good Luck,

BanhMinds!
Generally "which is easiest" and "which is best" threads don't fair too well because they're largely subjective and/or it depends on skill level. That is what's simple for one person might not be for another.

Both libraries have pre-compiled binaries that support various compilers, including Microsoft Visual Studio. Last I checked both had builds that would work under Visual C++ v7.

Neither library is particularly hard to use though Allegro does include pre-defined functions to do various tasks like blits (masked, stretch, and standard), load routines for various formats, and support for different sprite types (RLE, compiled etc). For a little more coding though, SDL allows greater access to it's underlying structures etc. Both libraries will let take advantage of OpenGL. Though which is easier depends a great deal on what you want to do.
For example, if you wanted to read a custom resource file that holds all your graphics etc SDL would be easier. Allegro comes with function to support it's own resource file format, but does really support customization unless you want to go digging in the source for clues how to right your own loading routine.

As for tutorials I've found Allegro's documentation to be sufficient in most cases, but I did run accross http://loomsoft.net/resources/alltut/alltut_index.htm.

For SDL tutorials I use LazyFoo.net

I would say try a little of both and decide for yourself.

Anyway, hope this help at least a little and good luck.
Patrick
Thank you for your answers. I'll give them both a try and see what one I find easiest to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement