(DirectX) Problem Locking a mipmap texture surface

Started by
2 comments, last by NightShade 24 years, 5 months ago
Are these textures in video memory?

I think Voodoo 2's (which the monster3D has, doesn't it?) don't allow locks to video-memory textures.

If you use the D3D texture manager, you shouldn't have to worry about this.

With your own, have a mip-map chain in system memory, then use Load() to upload it to video-memory.

Advertisement
Wow, that was a fast response I tried turning on texture management and the problem seems to be fixed now on the 2 monster fusion cards I have access to. I wonder why the DX docs don't say anything about that, or maybe I'm just overlooking it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

-ns-
Hi
I am having a problem trying to Lock() a surface created as a mipmapped texture. The DirectDrawSurface7::Lock method returns with a DDERR_UNSUPPORTED error code, which the documentation doesn't even say can happen. Non mip mapped surfaces and textures lock just fine. I couldn't find any kind of CAP flag to test for support for locking mip maps. The video card in question is a Diamond Monster 3d (the code works fine on my G400), and I was trying to lock the first (largest) bitmap in the mipmap chain (to copy the .bmp data into) Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks

-ns-
The DX docs can't go through every messed-up behavior of every card, unfortunately.

It would be nice if the Voodoo's D3D driver would just allow locks to video memory surfaces, and emulate them by allowing the user to edit system-memory surfaces, allocated on demand, and then upload them to the video memory surface. Maybe that should be a feature request to 3dfx . . .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement