Sign in to follow this  

Compression on DirectSound captured buffer.

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Language: VB 6 I've captured sound from microphone and placed data in byte array using DirectSound and the DirectSound Capture Device. Now that I have this byte array, I'm wondering how I would go about compressing it for streaming over the net while in-game. Unforunately there aren't many documents/tutorials on how to do this other than DirectPlay. I have tried this using directplay, but the DirectVoice server does not recognize all the codecs on the system. It only managed to recognize VOX and MS's codecs (sounds like crap to me), not to mention Dplay is deprecated now, so I'd like a more long term solution (something I could with this knowledge, move to .NET at a later time.) I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and/or has tutorials or example source that I may look over. I hope I also put this in the right area. Thanks

I'm not sure there is anything in DirectX that'll help you here - especially as you're using VB6 which isn't officially supported anymore. I assume you can't use things like XACT here (not my area of expertise unfortunately)?

I'll move this over to the multiplay & networking forum as they might be able to suggest another gaming-friendly but non-DX way of streaming audio [smile]

hth
Jack

There's a codec called Speex that works pretty well. It is, however, implemented in C. If you can build it as a DLL and call it from VB, then you might use that.

Other alternatives include calling DirectShow to compress the audio, or using the legacy Audio Codec Manager directly (acmOpen and friends). Exactly how you do that from VB 6, I don't know.

Perhaps the best solution for you, given your constraints, is to use DPlay, and the sucky codecs, though.

well I worked with visual basic 6 and made a whole game engine in it. if people tell you that it can't be done thay are fools I was working on that proplem to never acually found a good way to do it but oh well. now I program C++ .Net PhysX DirectX9 so you should just upgrade it's not that hard there is lots of good stuff on the internet for laerning so I know you can do it. I did.

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.