Sign in to follow this  

You guessed it....another college advice thread.

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, just joined up and so far from the few topics I read...people seem to be getting good and helpful advice. I hope to be the next one to get some. So a little bit about me. I'm fresh out of highschool and I'm trying to figure out where the flip I want to go. The last 6 months or so of back and forth debate with my self and/or family members about what I'm going to do college wise has been very stressful. I'm the kind of person who likes to know what and where I'll be in e 2, 5, 20 years from now. I know its a bad habit and more than likely unhealthy, but like I said, its just a bad habit is all. I been interested in technology my whole life. I remember being on the PC and playing games since I was about eight years old, and to this day I still am. So far I have some up with, I really want to be involved in this industry, but where I'm not exactly sure yet. Like I said I'm interested in technology. I think I'm more the hardware guy than anything. I was never really good or even liked math, so from the start I already canned any type of programming or engineering. (With the few colleges I did talk to. They were like oh everyone says that. You would be fine at math) The reality is, I'm not. The highest I got in high school was geo. I did get good grades in school overall 3.9 gpa, but my test scores suffer. I had to take the exit exam math part 3 times to pass it. It was most likely me and my lack of studying because I didn't, but like I said I'm not very good in math. Edit: I think I could be decent in math I just need to apply myself. If I could go back in time I would have taken high school much more seriously. Is it to late get be learn or be good at math? Here is where I'm at a loss. If I'm no good at math do I even belong in this industry? I've heard a few people mention Net Security,Admin, and what not but I don't know to much about what they involve. Should I go to a community college and take some computer science classes and see if its for me or what? I'm really open to any suggestions/comments that you guys may have. Any info I get out of this is much appreciated. Thanks Mark. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nobody, perhaps not even you, can say if you'll get past your maths difficulties. This makes games development a riskier option. If you have your heart set on game dev or anything similar, then it may be worth biting the bullet and expelling your goblins.

If you'd rather play it safer, there are plenty of computing occupations that don't require maths. IT Consultancy (I'm not sure if it's called the same thing in the USA) seems pretty popular, and it pays well. Systems Administration is similar in terms of requirements and availability.

What are your programming skills like? If they are fairly strong, then security is another good option, and there are plenty of programming jobs out there that require virtually no mathematics. If you're not so hot on the coding, you'd have more success in service than technical.

Admiral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
I'm the kind of person who likes to know what and where I'll be in e 2, 5, 20 years from now.


Have you considered business? You might go far with that midset.

Quote:
If I'm no good at math do I even belong in this industry? I've heard a few people mention Net Security,Admin, and what not but I don't know to much about what they involve.


Some colleges offer an Information Technologies or similar degree that would be great for a computer administration job, which there certainly are plenty of.

You could try taking some computer science classes, but better yet you might just want to try teaching yourself a little to see if it's something you enjoy. If you don't love programming, do you want to spend the rest of your life doing it?

You mentioned hardware. Maybe a computer engineering degree would be better, but it's also a heavy math degree. You could look at technical schools though because I expect the math would be less intensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by skittleo
Quote:
I'm the kind of person who likes to know what and where I'll be in e 2, 5, 20 years from now.


Have you considered business? You might go far with that midset.

Quote:
If I'm no good at math do I even belong in this industry? I've heard a few people mention Net Security,Admin, and what not but I don't know to much about what they involve.


Some colleges offer an Information Technologies or similar degree that would be great for a computer administration job, which there certainly are plenty of.

You could try taking some computer science classes, but better yet you might just want to try teaching yourself a little to see if it's something you enjoy. If you don't love programming, do you want to spend the rest of your life doing it?

You mentioned hardware. Maybe a computer engineering degree would be better, but it's also a heavy math degree. You could look at technical schools though because I expect the math would be less intensive.
No, I haven't really considered business. Do you know how long it would take to get a degree in business?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by MarkieMark
Quote:
Original post by skittleo
Quote:
I'm the kind of person who likes to know what and where I'll be in e 2, 5, 20 years from now.


Have you considered business? You might go far with that midset.

Quote:
If I'm no good at math do I even belong in this industry? I've heard a few people mention Net Security,Admin, and what not but I don't know to much about what they involve.


Some colleges offer an Information Technologies or similar degree that would be great for a computer administration job, which there certainly are plenty of.

You could try taking some computer science classes, but better yet you might just want to try teaching yourself a little to see if it's something you enjoy. If you don't love programming, do you want to spend the rest of your life doing it?

You mentioned hardware. Maybe a computer engineering degree would be better, but it's also a heavy math degree. You could look at technical schools though because I expect the math would be less intensive.
No, I haven't really considered business. Do you know how long it would take to get a degree in business?


Four years. With your GPA I don't think you'd have any trouble getting into a reputable university either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this