Sign in to follow this  

Discrete Mathematics

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking to self-learn the fundamentals of discrete mathematics in preparation for an application for a masters degree in CS. Can anyone recommend me good introductory texts on the various subjects which make up the field of discrete mathematics (logic, set theory, number theory, etc)? I've no problems teaching myself quite complex mathematics, I've self taught computational fluid dynamics over the past few months.

Odd, I was required to take a class in discrete structures in my first semester at college. I don't think that class was as heavy as a full discrete mathematics course, but we did have a pretty good text book: http://condor.depaul.edu/~rjohnson/dm6th/

I only got about half way through it in my class, but it looks like it covers all the things you mention, and what I covered of it was pretty easy to follow.

The only book I have read is "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, 6th ed" and I consider it a decent book (I can't compare it to the other ones out there though, since I haven't read others). It definitely covers the basics of what you mentioned, but I don't know how deep you'd like to go. It only has one chapter dedicated to set theory so it doesn't really go into detail about different sizes of infinite sets and that kind of stuff (It briefly mention uncountable vs. countable, aleph-null and does a couple of proofs).

The only thing I didn't really like about it is that it uses a lot of examples, but sometimes there is a little too many trivial examples.

If you want to judge for yourself, the second chapter (set theory) is freely available here and if you're worried that it doesn't cover some subjects you'd like to know you can check the table of contents.

Quote:
Original post by Leo_E_49
Can anyone recommend me good introductory texts on the various subjects which make up the field of discrete mathematics (logic, set theory, number theory, etc)?
I liked Norman Biggs' Discrete Mathematics a lot when I took discrete math, a long time ago. Lucid, and easy to read. It's now in a second edition.

For logic, try Ben-Ari's Mathematical Logic for Computer Science. I taught using the first edition, which was very good and, I think, also well liked by the students. It too is now in a (recent) second edition.

Thanks everyone! I'll take a look at some of those books. :)

Side note: Christer, I just purchased your book on Real Time Collision detection. I think it's excellent, although I've yet to give them a detailed work-through.

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.