Sign in to follow this  

multiplayer Internet speed

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I play multiplayer games on my PC like Halo and Half Life and have a fairly fast DSL connection (I average about 2500Kbps (2.5Mbps) downstream and 435Kbps upstream). I'm thinking about moving down to a slower connection to save money but I'm wondering how that will affect the multiplayer experience. Does anyone have a slower connection speed than me but a smooth gaming experience? Or is it choppy? You can check your connection speeds here: www.speedtest.net or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest Thanks!

Hi Brian!

Unfortunately you seem to have arrived at the wrong forum. This is a game development forum. This section of the forums is for questions related to multiplayer game development, not gaming.

As for your question, the latency (ping), although related to connection speed, is also related to other factors. And it is the latency which is of primary interest for you if you are playing games. I'm sure you can play most FPS games at a competitive level without any problems with a 1Mbps connection. I guess there's not much you can do about the upstream since you're on DSL, although I believe I get 1Mbps upstream with my DSL connection.

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.