• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Uphoreum

[SDL] Bad FPS on Vista

This topic is 4168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I run my game on Ubuntu without the 3D desktop effects, it runs perfectly smoothly, however if I run it with the 3D desktop effects on, (window wobble, etc.), then the FPS drop to a terrible rate. I experience similiar effects on Vista. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that Vista and the Ubuntu 3D effects make use of the video card and are stealing it from my game? I've yet to try it on XP, I'll edit the post after I do. I would expect it to work fine though. Does anyone have any idea why this might be and what I can do to fix it?

Advertisement
I can't answer your question (and I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it), but it might help to know whether you're doing a 2D game or using OpenGL for it. Probably the latter, but you never know :-).

Perhaps the fact that you're not using OpenGL is a problem in and of itself. Consider that SDL uses the CPU for most of its blitting and graphics plotting. All of this needs to get translated from memory addresses into a texture buffer. If you use OpenGL with SDL, then you're more likely to be using the internal functionality of the host operating system instead of just memory-banging with the CPU. I expect this is more of a problem with SDL and not much of a problem with your game.

On a similar note, i would like know if anyone knows whether having Vista running Aero whilst playing 3D games in fullscreen is detracting from the performance of the full screen game.

I read somewhere that when a program takes over the screen like that, Vista stops doing the fancy stuff, so, in theory, it shouldn't matter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!