[SDL] Bad FPS on Vista

Started by
5 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 11 months ago
When I run my game on Ubuntu without the 3D desktop effects, it runs perfectly smoothly, however if I run it with the 3D desktop effects on, (window wobble, etc.), then the FPS drop to a terrible rate. I experience similiar effects on Vista. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that Vista and the Ubuntu 3D effects make use of the video card and are stealing it from my game? I've yet to try it on XP, I'll edit the post after I do. I would expect it to work fine though. Does anyone have any idea why this might be and what I can do to fix it?
Advertisement
I can't answer your question (and I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it), but it might help to know whether you're doing a 2D game or using OpenGL for it. Probably the latter, but you never know :-).
Oh, It's a simple 2D SDL game, no OpenGL involved.
Perhaps the fact that you're not using OpenGL is a problem in and of itself. Consider that SDL uses the CPU for most of its blitting and graphics plotting. All of this needs to get translated from memory addresses into a texture buffer. If you use OpenGL with SDL, then you're more likely to be using the internal functionality of the host operating system instead of just memory-banging with the CPU. I expect this is more of a problem with SDL and not much of a problem with your game.
On a similar note, i would like know if anyone knows whether having Vista running Aero whilst playing 3D games in fullscreen is detracting from the performance of the full screen game.
I read somewhere that when a program takes over the screen like that, Vista stops doing the fancy stuff, so, in theory, it shouldn't matter.
Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
I read somewhere that when a program takes over the screen like that, Vista stops doing the fancy stuff, so, in theory, it shouldn't matter.

Yeah but in practice even Microsoft's latest Flight Simulator game disables Aero everytime it runs due to incompatibilites
So who knows?
You can try this though:
In some cases, a program may not be compatible with the new Desktop Window Manager and Aero Glass functionality in Windows Vista. Symptoms that indicate that a program is incompatible with Aero Glass include any of the following:• A flickering screen
• Desktop and window artifacts
• A program window not painting correctly on the screen
• A program window not painting at all and possibly causing a black window
To determine whether the program compatibility issue is related to Aero Glass, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then type the name of the program in the Start Search box.
2. In the Programs list , right-click the program that you are troubleshooting, and then click Properties.
3. On the Compatibility tab, click to select the Disable desktop composition check box.
When you select the Disable desktop composition option in the program properties, Windows Vista disables Aero Glass every time that you run the program. Aero Glass is re-enabled when the program is closed.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement