Sign in to follow this  

C++ or Java??

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, i am new here, and new to the hole coding business, I know Web Coding Languages such as HTML CSS and some PHP javascript, so what should I start out with? Java or C++? I hear that it is better to use C++ because it can do much more, but it is harder to learn than Java. Is this true? Well whichever one is easier for a n00b such as myself to learn. Thank you, -GFXcraZe

C++ is harder to learn but it's the language most professional games are made in, java is easier and higher level with features like garbage collecting and type safety but doesn't have much of a following in the game development community

if your just learning id recommend python, you can learn a different language fairly easily after you've learned the basics

Pick one. They are languages. Learn one, then learn another. Then learn 3 more.

Don't know what to pick? Start looking at programming languages on Wikipedia. Look at their features, and if you don't understand what the feature does, ask what it does and what it means.

Read things on programming styles. Object Oriented and Structured are likely the two main ones you'll use. Functional is interesting (in that it looks so simple, till you try to work with it), and any other you come across.

Want to learn a language while learning the rest of this? look around here, make up a list of those that are common (Java, C, C++, Python are the ones that I see most often it seems) and flip a coin, roll dice, throw darts. Anything to pick one at random and start learning it.

Python is a very good bet for starters. Simple, easy, does most things you can do with other languages, while not having 'overly advanced' features that isn't going to be easy to learn.

C++ has a lot of stumbling blocks, C as well. Java cuts out several of them, python is simple and easy and can get into seeing results fairly fast. You will want to learn more languages eventually so don't expect to learn only one language.

Languages are tools, like hammers, drills, screwdrivers, saws, etc. Sure you can do anything with a single tool if you try hard enough, but wouldn't you rather have a lot of tools you know how to use well in a toolbox?

Quote:
Original post by GFXcraZe
Hi guys, i am new here, and new to the hole coding business,

"Hehe.. Bevis, he said 'hole', hehe... hehe..."

My personal experience, all due to neseccity -

QBasic, back in the day, just out of interest (1990s), nice and simple, type stuff in and get stuff printing on the screen! Wee...

HTML, CSS

javascript, ActionScript - its there I learned a few of the basics of Object Oriented Programming - this is essential stuff.

Then Java during Uni - it is taught as an introductory language, where I learnt more Object Oriented Programming concepts such as polymorphism

And then C++ where I learnt even more, such as templates

Those techniques are really all about making your code easier to manage...

So yeah, personally I suggest starting with Java. It "does things for you" which are nice to begin with, but you will out-grow it eventually and move to C++ because you dont' want the "does things for you" getting in the way.

C++ is indeed hard too learn. It has many features and you can do (almost) everything with it!

Java is realy nice, you should give it a try!

Python is very simple too learn, nice language!

C#, well, you probably should look into it, but I don't realy like it...

QBasic and all Basic dialects are very ... human, simple, yet powerful. My favorite are BlitzMax and BlitzBasic3D

This topic is 3860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.