Using Visual Studio 2005 C++ EE and memory?

Started by
18 comments, last by Antheus 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys/ girls, Ive been using VS C++ EE for sometime now, and recently when entering code I'm getting a strange hick-up. Whenever I enter code, it is not shown straight away, I either have to wait for a while or change to another screen and go back for the code to be shown. Do any of you guys have any idea what might be causing this? Thank you.
Advertisement
That IDE disk swaps like hell for me all the time. You want to paste a small paragraph of code, or check what's in the 'edit' menu, and it swaps for 35 seconds, while you sit there and wait. The newer VS IDEs don't run well on lower memory systems, especially with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Easy solution is just to use the VS2005 compiler through the code::blocks IDE instead.
I would try deleting your Solution's ncb file. i.e. if your solution is called Game.sln, then I would delete the Game.ncb file. This file will be regenerated by Intellisense so is safe to delete.

I find one some machines (for larger projects at least), I need to disable Intellisense completely, I do this by just creating a dummy folder with the name of the ncb file which would be generated for that project. Works well, but means I have no intellisense. :(
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Easy solution is just to use the VS2005 compiler through the code::blocks IDE instead.

What is code::blocks IDE? Where can I find it?

Quote:Original post by Deventer
I would try deleting your Solution's ncb file. i.e. if your solution is called Game.sln, then I would delete the Game.ncb file. This file will be regenerated by Intellisense so is safe to delete.

Where can I find the ncb file? Deleting that file, does this still let me debug my code and go over it one variable at a time?

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated.

Think it's kinda cool, one person from Canada, one person from Australia helping a European. Isn't the world a small place ;)
Quote:Original post by J0Be

What is code::blocks IDE? Where can I find it?
codeblocks.org
Quote:Original post by J0Be
Where can I find the ncb file? Deleting that file, does this still let me debug my code and go over it one variable at a time?

Yes it does let you debug and go over one variable at a time.
The file can be found in the same folder than the project solution.
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
It does indeed sound like all you need to do is trash the NCB file. The delay you're seeing is being caused by Intellisense - the system that does things like suggest function names for you while you're typing - getting confused. Intellisense stores its data in the NCB file, and sometimes that data can become corrupted; so, close Visual Studio, delete the NCB file, launch Visual Studio again, and it will rebuild the NCB file from scratch.

You have a very odd definition of "easy solution."

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
You have a very odd definition of "easy solution."
Why is that? I run on a 256 mb machine and VSEE murders it. I would actually run VS over CB if this wasn't the case.

With C::B I can keep multiple large projects opened with the same features on while I still have 2 3D modelling apps, paintshop pro, firefox opened with a few tabs, with some mp3s playing, and everything is nice and smooth.

Running the new EE IDEs on their own, without all that is hard enough (for me).

All I have to do is pick VS2005 as my compiler from CB's compiler setup dropbox, and there isn't much difference to me other than the program name across the title bar, because I don't use any of the advanced IDE features. Personally, I'm happy with a Rich Edit control, and a Compile hotkey.

I was first to reply to a post that didn't have much detail, and at the time, the problem sounded the same as my recent experiences. It's a quick fix for a program that for me can cause up to a minute of paging just trying to browse the menu at the top of the screen. AKA: 'Easy solution'.
Why is that?
Switching IDEs to solve a problem with intellisense crashing is not my idea of an easy solution, especially for a person in the beginner's forum who really needs to not have his/her learning disrupted by changing toolsets at the drop of a hat.

I can appreciate that you did not recognise the true nature of the OP's problem as you don't actually run the IDE.

If I'm being overly harsh to you then I apologise, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed with seeing "switch to Code::Blocks" posted as a response to problems with VS that could be easily solved without making beginners retrain themselves on a whole load of tools. If you're going to encourage people to drop a tool then you could at least pick on something that actually deserves it, like C++.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Why is that?
Switching IDEs to solve a problem with intellisense crashing is not my idea of an easy solution
This thread is titled Using Visual Studio 2005 C++ EE and memory?There is no mention of intellisense in the first post. I've never had a problem in the older VS and stalling from intellisense, because my programs are never that complex.
Quote:I'm getting increasingly annoyed with seeing "switch to Code::Blocks" posted as a response to problems with VS that could be easily solved without making beginners retrain themselves on a whole load of tools.
I'm not trying to shove an OSS program in someone's face. I only care wether a given program works or it doesn't, not it's stance on the GPL, and in this case, CB does the trick. Didn't I just post that I would use VS if not for the paging problem?
Quote:Original post by Me
Why is that? I run on a 256 mb machine and VSEE murders it. I would actually run VS over CB if this wasn't the case.
There isn't anything to retrain on. Both programs are not that different, and you just press a button to call the compiler until the IDE to the exact same results. CB is mostly a multiplatform VS knockoff to begin with. [lol]

Try pulling out your ram chips and running VSEE, you'll get this exact symptom while the system starts to page.
Quote:when entering code I'm getting a strange hick-up. Whenever I enter code, it is not shown straight away

You are taking what I wrote completly out of context. At the time of my reply, it wasn't a thread about intellisense crashing. CB is obviously not a solution to that. It is a solution a memory problem however.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement