Sign in to follow this  

Calling all SQL gurus..

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know the correct syntax for updating two floating-point values in an SQL table in this way: UPDATE Table SET value1 = value1 + 0.5, value2 = value2 + 1.61 WHERE id = 'moo' I'm getting syntax errors and I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe setting two values in this way is illegal? I searched google briefly with not alot of help. Thanks in advance

Are the value1/value2 columns actually a float column themselves?

edit: hmmm, actually from that there's two possible causes

a) the value1/value2 columns are non-numeric (eg: not int, float, etc)
b) your id column isn't a char/varchar field

What's the exact error?

Hi!

I _think_ that you can't use the values from fields in the statement itself: "value1 = value1 + 0.5".
so, read/select the values1/2 first in a seperate stmt, and set them in a second one.

Cirdan

Syntax looks okay apart from the name 'Table'.
I know that in MSSQL 'Table' is a reserved keyword (as in: TRUNCATE TABLE MyTable). Using brackets should fix that:

UPDATE [Table] SET value1 = value1 + 0.5, value2 = value2 + 1.61 WHERE id = 'moo'

/edit: that wasn't it apparently, and 'table' was probably a place holder name anyway. :)

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.