FPS and jumping

Started by
22 comments, last by Extrarius 16 years, 11 months ago
I don't mind jumpers, I'm not one myself but I try to home my skills to take them out specifically. But I only agree when the atmosphere of the game matters. In CS or Americas Army, no. I think jumping should only be useful for getting over obstacles, and jumping in the open wouldn't really get you out of the sniper's target. AA does it well as your accuracy is absolutely horrible if you start jumping. And if I aim at your head, and you jump, part of your body is still in my crosshair.

UT on the other hand, I have to agree, they MADE jumping part of the game when they added dodging. Except for the first one, I just played single player for the sequels as I can't stand bunnies. I don't try and change them.

Now as far as game design goes, I actually have a couple in mind that incorporate both styles into one. it's medieval. A simple warrior or heavy hitter cannot jump that well. And when they do, they incur various penalties for doing so. Where as the ninja is allowed to dodge and jump like... well, a ninja. The two styles will have it's adv's and disadv's, but each will have to cope with them.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
Advertisement
BTW, the reason I started this thread is finding hoppers in RTCW:ET :)
Quote:Original post by wildex999
Jumpig is just a valid strategy as hiding and walking low. A lot of people hate jumpers, because they actually have to do some working. You don't play a FPS to relax, go find yourself a RTS instead.
I like to jump, when I'm close atleast. I can jump over people, and quicly turn around, while they try to figure out where I went. I also usually start pressing space a lot when I'm being fired at, this way it makes it that one bit harder for people to hit me.
But no, then I'm a bunnyjumper or something like that.
They don't take int oconsideration that while I'm jumping(At least on almost every game) the aiming becose much worse, in the end, its a valid strategy.
I have strategies against it, learn to aim, and if you see someone jump close to you, try to start fire right behind you, they usually land there.
When people fall down, you know exactly where they will land, its hard to evade fire mid-air, use that.

Theres always something in a FPS game that some will hate, while others take use of and learn to use well, it can't be avoided. Trying to design a game oterwise, will not make it better. You'd have to make a game with only ONE weapon, no jumping, no walking low, no aiming. Hell, while youre at it, take away all forms of health and armour refilling.
NOW you might not get complainers... oh...wait.... can't that other guy aim BETTER THAN ME? OMG?

Those that hate something(Like bunnyjumping, certain weapons) do that just because they can't use it themselves.
Those wh osay everyone better is a cheater, is jut because they themselve is'nt as good.

So, how do you guys want to work around this?

Glitching on the other hand is something that it's allowed to complain about(I hate those FPS games where people hide inside walls)

I can't disagree more. There are many ways to balance an FPS like any other game.

I can understand the frustration from not being a jumper and I've only recently started doing it because there was a definite advantage to doing so (BF2142). Now I don't know the system behind every FPS but I heard (take this with a grain of salt as I don't have a source for it) that the way the player's client VS server coordinates are may be a little buggy when it comes to jumping in BF making it very difficult to shoot someone who's jumping.

If you really wanted to avoid bunny hopping in your game because you found it ruined the immersion you could always add a stamina system where players could only sprint/jump a specific amount of times before they got tired and weren't allowed to do so.
Doesn't Half-Life 2 have some kind of stamina?
Anyway, if jumping is buggy, why did they include it in the first place?

Programming=Creating,Your fantasy is the only limit!

Because it looks cool? I don't know man I don't work for Dice hehehe

It doesn't _look_ buggy since it's smooth and everything but you can shoot straight on someone who's in midair and he might not even get hit. I have survived situation that even jumping to screw up their aim wouldn't have helped and it did (think of a machine gun with an endless clip that just needs to fire in your direction to massacre you).

Now I know my personal experience doesn't mean squat but I'm not basing my comment on what happened to me and instead on what I heard from the community (I don't know who/what is the real source so that's why I said to take it with a grain of salt even though I, personally, think it's plausible through my experience).

edit: I'm not sure how HL2 handled jumping since I don't own it, I've only played once or twice. This also means I haven't played it online.

Even though I disagree on the balancing of an FPS it will always be true that a player will be better skilled than you and that can only be remedied through practice. There will always be weapons that are better than others so it's up to you to practice with the one you think is best. However weapons should have their disadvantages to equal them out. A bad example of this is the AWP in CS. A weapon of that size and power would need to be deployed and would seriously encumber anyone running with it on their back.
Quote:Original post by Rimio
Imagine a hardcore battle, your team (or you alone) facing three enemies, running, hiding behind obstacles, dodging rockets, bullets and whatever you like. Pretty cool, huh ?
Now the same scene with everybody jumping around like a bunch of retards, thinking that they can't get hit if they jump. Spoils the image right? Makes the scene look like all the players are on crack.

Spoils the image?

But going from 0 to 20+MPH in a millisecond then near instantly spinning 180 to change direction mid run to aim and fire on some guy behind you...humans CAN'T do that, but its the constant player jumping that bugs you?

Half-Life 2 had a stamina system of sorts, but jumping didn't take any stamina. Jumping would give you the speed of the sprint, without draining the stamina.
I half hate jump nutsos, half enjoy them greatly. Assuming the game is designed well (q1, q3a, tribes series), the jump can be used to avoid most missile damage while having the downside of making your movements predictable and generally decreasing your own accuracy. If you're a jump nut in those games I'll just wait until you're in midair and fire where you're going to land [grin]

If the game (or jumping at least) is not designed well (UT, HL derivatives, q2 to a degree) the jump is too quick to fire as a reaction or you can change your motion in the air so that your movements aren't predictable. You get all of the evasion benefit for no real detriment.
Ahahahaha, delayed turning would be awesome, no more of those instant turning to take you out with a headshot, after you do a suprise attack.

Programming=Creating,Your fantasy is the only limit!

Similar situation caused me to stop playing Gunz:The Duel. I used to kill people with assault rifles. But from lvl 10, I was actively flamed by everyone, because I didn't do what "pros" do, they call it butterfly or something, but it is changing weapon to sword, jump, swing, change to shotgun, shoot, change to sword, jump... whole game this way. I got comments like "noob machinegunner" "noob sprayer" "butterfly plz" and kicked, just because I was running around sniping them with assault rifle instead of running around like monkey and shooting randomly.

and very good strategy against jumpers... just approximate where they will land and send a rocket there, don't try to hit them in air
OpenGL fanboy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement