FPS and jumping

Started by
22 comments, last by Extrarius 16 years, 10 months ago
Honestly i think jumping should be reserved for JUMPING ON/OFF THINGS. Honestly, i think quake3 is fun, but the whole perfect-aim even when flying through the air and getting your teeth cleaned is a little bit too "gamey", and not enough duel. It's like a mouse-contest, not a combat scenario. Counterstrike-source is good, as your aim becomes poorer as you run/jump/walk/get shot. The only crummy thing in certain levels is pump-jumping, where people jump and have their head pop over the wall (which fires shells somehow)...as you try to rush them. Sure u can just shoot them in the head if they keep popping up in the same spot, but people don't....once they got a few cheap shots in on you, they can just pop out and blast you.
Advertisement
I think stamina is the best way to prevent jumping, like in BF2. If you jump, your accuracy goes down and you run out of stamina and um, can't run away.

Halo 2 did jumping rather well, I think you slowed down in the air and had little airborne control. If you jumped, that just made you a slower target, but you had to jump to avoid grenades sometimes... You couldn't really bunny-hop effectively in that game.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

If this is a conversation about game design, then I'd say that Jumping could be removed, but only if it is also replaced with some kind of dashing action. For a FPS, this probably wouldn't make absolute sense in terms of animation, but is an important tactic. Someone mentioned before that jumping was a way to get away from rocket damage. This happens because jumping increases your overall speed (not on the floor's X or Y axis, but in the air's Z axis) and got you away from the center of the explosion faster. Losing the ability to jump would give too much power to any kind of splash damage effect, and remove ability from the defender, laying only accuracy on the attacker as the gameplay factor. Because these are multiplayer games, and we want each player to have a chance to really play, the defender needs a way to get away from that attack, and some kind of dash would assist. Of course, we don't want them just dashing all over the place, so the dash would need some kind of slow down toward the end of it, so that it's no faster than normal running, but still a better way to get away from an explosion than plain running.
william bubel
If you want to see Jumping Done Right™ in an action game, look at Unreal Tournament 2004. Watch a demo of a guru battle and you'll see tons of jumping, but if you pay attention you'll notice that nobody is bunny hopping around - every jump has a purpose, and jumping at the wrong time is deadly. No stamina needed.

For semi-psuedo-realistic games, a stamina bar is better than the "jump-stumble" that made it in Counter Strike, but honestly who cares? Just make the cone-of-fire large while jumping (and triply large if firing fully auto while in the air) and it shouldn't be a problem.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement