Sign in to follow this  

blending of skelatal animations

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Currently I have one position point and one rotation quaternion for every key of animation for each bone of my skeleton. While playing animation I interpolate linearly between bone position points and spherically between bone rotation quaternions. This looks good when I have about 25 position and rotation keys per second. But when I want to interpolate between two keys that are 2 seconds apart then the bones look like they were moving separetely - the whole skeleton just seem to break apart for these 2 seconds. It seems that the interpolation does not maintain the relative position of bones. Would anyone point me in the right direction?

Can one achieve good blending of animations (from one animation to another) without knowledge of the skeleton's hierarchy? That is just blending positions and rotations of individual bones?

That might be the two interpolation methods biting each other.

What I've done is ignoring the position information, and just applying the rotations to the skeleton. That involves walking through the bone hierarchy, setting the rotation, and from that rotation determine the new pivot point location of the child bone.
That way, the bones can never get apart (or excessively stretch when you're using skinning).

So I may have to rethink my whole animation workflow cause now I export animation data for each bone which is fully independent of other bones in the skeleton. It seems that the correct approach is to export translation only for the root bone?

This topic is 3859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.