Developing A Game

Started by
22 comments, last by kaidiez 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Ehrys
Currently studying (MEng) Computer Science with Games Dev. at Hull and it sounds like it's improved somewhat.

Ah, that got introduced after we (MSc Graduates of 2006) left. From what I hear from Jon, it sounds pretty good and comparative to the MSc.

The MSc was a good course, the fact that ~85% of us (out of ~45) are in the industry now is a testament to that. Hopefully the MEng should be no different. Prepare for a lot of hard work though, the workload doesn't let up for the entire year.

We ought to really go back up there sometime for a visit, I miss the fish and chips there :(.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Advertisement
Can't beat Haworth Pizza's tbh ;)

The MEng does sound good a lot of people rate it highly. Unfortunately the industry placement isn't very specific to the course although in the modules we now only share two (instead of the four last(this) year) the others are *very* game specific.

In response to the OP, I just bought two books, an intermediate and advanced book on Game Engine development. The ISBN-10 numbers are 1584504730 & 012229063 respectively. Even if you find them too advanced (or even too basic) they are a good starting point, in my opinion, to give you the general idea of how they work.

If you don't want to build an actual engine and dive straight in, there are many recommended books on the GDNet Resources section that can help you out.

instinKt said it best in my opinion. Set lots of small goals, rather than a few big ones so that you constantly see yourself moving forward. Also, the "building a house" analagy fits quite well. There's no point building the "roof" of your game if you don't have the four walls and foundation. Start at the bottom and build up.

If you were to say, start the GUI first. You would need a renderer and a camera at the very least. So build a Camera first and the a renderer. That is your GUI foundation.
Quote:Original post by Ehrys

In response to the OP, I just bought two books, an intermediate and advanced book on Game Engine development. The ISBN-10 numbers are 1584504730 & 012229063 respectively. Even if you find them too advanced (or even too basic) they are a good starting point, in my opinion, to give you the general idea of how they work.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend that you start with making an engine. There are many pitfalls and complexities of engine design and development which mean you could dig yourself into a hole. Starting out on something that big you could end up disheartened and lose your motivation.

Definitely make 2-3 manageable small games in the API of your choice first before attempting to write an engine.
thanks for all the advice and tips.. tbh i wasnt expecting this many replies :D

Atm im working through all the SDL tutorials and making sure I have a grip on it before i start working on my own, then gonna go back and design the game properly, got tons of notes - skills, layouts, storyline etc but its not in depth enough and not done any of the object side yet.

Think im gonna start with the "Start" screen, get the menu working which shouldn't be too hard and get me programming then start working on a town maybe but that may change when ive actually started planning it properly.

@Trip99: yea i wanted to do one of their courses but after being at my uni for 2 years already and deferring a year i didnt think starting from scratch was the best idea lol thought i better just finish it and get to working. Atm couldnt afford to do masters especially with my obscene overdraft lol.

@ArchangelMorph: 1. yea thats what im doing atm, thanx. 2. yea i have a tendency to want to jump straight in but think i will do this properly and plan it like you say. Should help a lot more in the long run.

hopefully soon ill have somethign to show for my time and can show you my progress and maybe get some critique's ;)
I'm sorry your witty comment could not be loaded.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement