Sign in to follow this  

Loading unicode text files

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am having a problem reading a .txt file that has unicode characters in them. Somehow they are read wrongly. The file looks like this: -1.0, -0.7, -0.5, -0.3, -0.1 0.2 Czech Nová hra Nastavení Nápověda .. and even more text. It is a language file that has some information about where to place it on the screen on top of the file. If I read it as a text file, the unicode is read wrongly. When I read the file in binary, the fscanf (pFile, "%f, %f, %f, %f, %f\n", &MenuPos[0], &MenuPos[1], &MenuPos[2], &MenuPos[3], &MenuPos[4]); for the first line fails. I actually don't know a way to read them in binary for I can't check for a spererator or a line end then. What can I do?

You can read in binary data using fread().

If this is C++, there are wide-character equivalents to a lot of the standard functionality. ie: wcout, wchar_t, wstring.

But I can't detect where a number ends, because it doens't stop reading at a blank character. Example:

20 30

can't be read with fread, for it doesn't stop at a blank character. Furthermore, I don't know the string lengths, so I can't give a range.

Quote:
Original post by Revelation60
But I can't detect where a number ends, because it doens't stop reading at a blank character. Example:

20 30

can't be read with fread, for it doesn't stop at a blank character. Furthermore, I don't know the string lengths, so I can't give a range.

First, are you using C or C++? Second, if you're using C, then you just need to fread() one byte at a time, or read more than that and buffer it yourself. Or switch to C++ and use the wide character iostream stuff.

Quote:
If I read it byte by byte, I think I get wrong results, because unicode has got more than one byte for a char.
Yes, you read byte by byte and then parse the results yourself.

It would probably help if you knew which encoding your file uses. Read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Once you (globally) understand what you are trying to do, I'm sure you can find a library that does it for you (though writing your own unicode-reading lib can be entertaining too).

Quote:
When I read the file in binary, the

fscanf (pFile, "%f, %f, %f, %f, %f\n", &MenuPos[0], &MenuPos[1], &MenuPos[2], &MenuPos[3], &MenuPos[4]);

for the first line fails. I actually don't know a way to read them in binary for I can't check for a spererator or a line end then.

What can I do?

Use fwscanf.

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.