Loading Parameters

Started by
4 comments, last by Kobaltic 16 years, 10 months ago
I would like to know how parameters get loaded. I have a bad parameter but I am unsure of what is loading that is bad. I am wondering if someone might be able to tell me what type of stuff will load the parameter.
Advertisement
Not enough information, please provide more.

What language?
What parameters (function parameters, program arguments)?
What error, specifically?
What does the code in question look like?

And so on.
What language? What do you mean by the parameter is "bad"? How do you know it's "bad"? What do you mean by "type of stuff"?
Sorry bad habbit I have.

C++ using vc 2005

error is: the error is when I enter the exit trigger my level completes correctly. When the next level loads it crashes. The crash is in the kernal32.dll. I traced it back to a parameter that is suppose to be a small positive number but it is huge. I was told this happens when it resizes a negitive number. I am not sure on why this happens.

I also noticed that the same trigger produce a bad _ptr. I thought that it meant the parameter also. After doing a little research it seems to be a pointer. I am not sure if these are releated or not.

This is an area that I have no experince in. I know that about 1/3 of our code got updated to handle some new stuff. I know it is in the new code but I am not sure where. I can't post the code so I am wondering if there is a general rule reguarding parameters or anything that may help.
You need to be a lot more specific. Here is the useful information that you have provided so far:
  • "C++ using vc 2005"
  • "a parameter that is suppose to be a small positive number but it is huge"
I don't think general rules will be helpful. There are lots of general rules, and lots and lots of not-so-general rules. If you want general rules, you can try looking here for something relevant: C++ FAQ Lite.

Why can't you post the code? It is generally necessary to see the relevant code in order to determine the problem.

Have you run the code in the debugger to find out where/why/when the value changes from small to huge?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Can't post code due to my NDA. I am working with the debugger but I can't find where it changes yet. Sorry short on time. I will post more tomorrow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement