Sign in to follow this  

C++ Primer Plus ---- Difference in Editions?

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hear this book recommended often so decided to get a copy. A friend's friend who's settled his career has a copy from a few years ago. But its the 4th edition. I looked on the web to see the latest one is the 5th edition. Also, I learned that the ANSI C++ standard was revised somewhat in 2003 or something.... after which the 5th edition came out. I wanna know if there's much difference between the 4th and 5th editions. Is there any big disadvantage if I use the 4th edition now? Also... are there any better recommendations for a book? For previous programming experience, I know a good bit of VB6, and then even started on C++ (up till basics of OOP) with the 'Teach yourself C++ in 21 days' book... but didn't have time to finish. Now I'm starting again after like 1 and a half years of no programming.

Quote:
Original post by ManiacalAce
Also, I learned that the ANSI C++ standard was revised somewhat in 2003 or something.... after which the 5th edition came out.

That was a minor revision and at the level you are going to program for the next months you're not going to notice any differences. There may be differences between the 4th and 5th edition, but I doubt they are because of the standard.

Quote:
Also... are there any better recommendations for a book?

I seem to remember hearing some stuff about C++ Primer being an excellent beginner book, while C++ Primer Plus teaches lots of bad practices. I'm not familiar with any of the books though so I can't say whether those are just rumors.

Okay... can someone please confirm that? Since the 4th edition is easily accessible atm, I'd like to use it if possible.
I'd just like more confirmation please >_<

C++ Primer Plus teaches bad practices? As in it starts by teaching C or something?
Again... confirmation please :(
And I'll also look into the other book :)

C++ Primer Plus is actually the worst book you could possibly pick up to learn C++. Unfortunately you have mistaken it for C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman which is one of the best possible books on the subject. Honestly take C++ Primer Plus back to where you got it and pick up either C++ Primer or Accelerated C++.

Quote:
Original post by Saruman
C++ Primer Plus is actually the worst book you could possibly pick up to learn C++. Unfortunately you have mistaken it for C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman which is one of the best possible books on the subject. Honestly take C++ Primer Plus back to where you got it and pick up either C++ Primer or Accelerated C++.

What is it about C++ Primer Plus that is so bad? For instance which practices?

This topic is 3858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.