Sign in to follow this  

How can I blur a texture to create a glowing effect?

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've posted this question before, but this time I've figured out what I need to do so I'll be more specific: If I have a texture that contains a bunch of lines in it, how can I do a blur on it to produce a glowing line effect? (eg. a simple bloom effect) For those wondering, I'm trying to duplicate the glowing line effect in games such as Defcon and Project Vex (see screenshot here: http://devimg.net/?Post=470) Thanks for your help...

This can easily be done with shaders.. Check this out. Basically you render your whole scene to a render target (or you can copy it out of the frame buffer to a texture). Then you render this texture to another texture (via a whole frame quad) using a filter to select the glowing pixels (in the example case, bright pixels). Next you take your filtered texture (only the bright pixels) and blur it, which takes place in two stages, horizontal and vertical. Good luck, I hacked mine together from that tutorial and I am very happy with the results..

That looks really nice (and extremely complicated!), but I bet it's not shader model v1.3 compatible. In the game I mentioned above (Project Vex) it runs on my super-old laptop which is only v1.3 compatible.

He says he's doing a simple bloom to the whole screen but maybe he is doing it some other way?

You could do a fake radial blur, clicky. This method requires no shaders. He is copying framebuffer to a texture and doing a blur with that texture. Instead of that, you could use a frame-buffer object or a pixel-buffer object which will be much faster.

I agree with using honayboyz though, shaders will give you much better blur results than this method.

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.