• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RyanZec

OpenGL/DirectX support in Vista?

This topic is 4164 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thinking about a project I am working on and wether we need to create a interface for both DX9 and DX10 for our rendering engine since we are also going to have OGL support(mainly for Mac/Linux). I was thinking that we did not need DirectX9 support becuase OGL can support the cards(I think only 2 support it last i heard) and OS's(Vista does not support DX9 but thought it supported OGL). Now I have been told that OGL is not fully supported by Vista. I have been told that it is support through DX10 calls which mean to use OGL on Vista you need a card that support DX10. Is this true the OGL support on VIta is limited like that?

Advertisement
The OpenGL forum has a big sticky thread on this; GL 1.5 is fully natively supported on Vista, so you'll still have to do the extensions dance you do on XP, but it should work perfectly.

Some of the common OpenGL extensions are not supported by "out-of-the-box" graphics drivers shipped with Vista, i.e. users would have to download and install latest video drivers provided by NVIDIA/ATI to be able to run an application that uses such extensions. Also, Aero can sometimes interfere with OGL application. I would suggest to keep DX9 support.

It would just be nice, and save time if we did not have to support DX9, that would be one less interface to build for the rendering engine.

Also I don't see the sticky about OGL and Vista in the OGL forums, can someone link it?

You seem to have more than a little confusion on the topic...

Vista supports D3D10, D3D9L, previous versions of Direct3D through a light emulation layer, and has built-in OpenGL 1.5 support through a similar emulation layer. It also supports Native OpenGL support through your video card's drivers. Basically, use whatever you like.

Many of the D3D10 features are exposed on non-Vista operating systems through OpenGL extensions, so its possible to use D3D10 features on Windows XP, for example.

Quote:
Original post by RyanZec
I could of swear the DX10 is not supported on XP, is that wrong?

This is true. What ravyne2001 is describing is, features in DX10 which are also exposed through the OpenGL driver are available for use by accessing them via the extensions functionality in OGL.

Specifically, accessing the DirectX 10 interface in XP is not supported by Microsoft. However, the Alky project exists to combat this heavy-handed tactic.

Well as it was just pointed out to me, Xbox360 only support DX9 and we want out engine to support XBOX360 so we need to develop a DX9 interface anyways.

Quote:
Original post by DarkHorizon
Specifically, accessing the DirectX 10 interface in XP is not supported by Microsoft. However, the Alky project exists to combat this heavy-handed tactic.
Yeah, except the Alky project is nothing more than a bad joke.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!