which engine to use??

Started by
11 comments, last by Abert 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am at a point where I must decide which 3D-Engine to use. I googled a bit and found three open source engines, which are possibly the most important ones: OpenSceneGraph (OSG) OpenSG Ogre But which of them is the "best"? I would like to hear statements from users who used one of the engines, or better two of them. I need an Engine which is feature rich, but with a robust implementation of these features. I dont want to hack the code to get an effect, the engine should support it. I can do one or two things myself but most of the things should already be there. Something like: -Dynamic Shadows (Shadowmap) & Lightning -A good culling structure (at least the first and second of the libs mention should have that? ) -Paging of geometry? (would be nice) -particle effects -skeletal animation And of course it should be not hard to learn... Best regards -rotalever
Advertisement
Quote:
But which of them is the "best"?

None. There is no such thing, in general. The best for you will be the one that meets the bulk of your requirements for your specific project. Examine the engine's documentation, features listings, and samples -- and perhaps experiment with them -- in order to determine that.

I've examined Ogre, and I do not like it's design at all. OpenSceneGraph is not an engine so much as it is a scene graph library, as is OpenSG. I doubt they will give you what you need. Of the three, Ogre is your best bet, but you might want to consider other systems as well (Irrlicht, Crystal Space, any of the libraries in this forums sticky, et cetera).
From their descriptions I thought OSG and OpenSG have both a 3dengine functionality..
For some definition of "3D engine," yes. Dig deeper and you'll probably discover they don't meet all your needs. "3D engine" is not a strictly-defined term, it can mean a lot of things. That's why you have to research.

You also need to be aware that engines aren't game construction toolkits; many of them may legitimately and correctly claim to support the features you need, but that doesn't mean you'll just be able flip the "use dynamic shadows" checkbox and away you go. You're going to have to be doing a fair bit of code-monkeying with most (especially the free) solutions, so be aware of that and don't let it detract too much from your evaluation of an engine.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
You also need to be aware that engines aren't game construction toolkits; many of them may legitimately and correctly claim to support the features you need, but that doesn't mean you'll just be able flip the "use dynamic shadows" checkbox and away you go. You're going to have to be doing a fair bit of code-monkeying with most (especially the free) solutions, so be aware of that and don't let it detract too much from your evaluation of an engine.

Sure, I dont think that those engine are game construction tools but I tried one of the ogre tutorials and yes, I enabled shadows with something like "enabletheshadows(blablub)".

Well, I was calling the shadow thing out as an example, of course. Some things might be easy to enable, other things might be hard, and some times you might need to do work to combine two effects well. My main point is that that what your research needs to find out.
Yeah of course, this is how my question was meant. It is always better to hear user experiences because people who actually use one of the engines can tell a bit more about its "usability".
None of them. Use irrlicht. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
The Irrlicht-Engine is indeed very good. But I think, it lacks of community and docs.
You sould also give the C4-Enigne (http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php) a try. Costs about 200USD, but is totaly worth it.

;)
greets, FFF_______________________________God's in his heaven. All's right with the world.
Quote:Original post by dada222
None of them. Use irrlicht. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Why?
There are people in the world who say "use ogre!" and there are people who say "use irrlicht!", so do I know more then? No...

Quote:Original post by FreakForFreedom
The Irrlicht-Engine is indeed very good. But I think, it lacks of community and docs.
You sould also give the C4-Enigne (http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php) a try. Costs about 200USD, but is totaly worth it.

I've also heard that Irrlicht lacks of support. That's why I didnt include it in my engine listing.
C4-Engine looks good, but I am not the rich boy and if I pay the $200 and I dont like the engine, what's then? I looked at its features, the engine has many and an included map editor. But in my opinion the map editor looks a bit like an editor optimized for FPS/etc. and not the game type I want to make (RPG-like). And if the editor looks like that then the engine may be aswell optimized for indoor rendering focused on FPS (just a thought).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement