Camera system for racing game.

Started by
2 comments, last by gunning 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi folks, I'm making a racing game. And the camera is not what i want. How do i do it so that my camera is behind(that i have done allready) but not that tight (it now seems if the car is stuck on the screen and the world is moving.) any ideas about it and so ? my car has a direction. the camera is with factor 7 negative direction behind it. But this way i get the problem like above. any ideas? everything is welcome :D greets ghoti
Advertisement
Try adding the negated acceleration vector to the camera position. So when you accelerate forward, the camera moves back. When you accelerate backwards the camera moves forward, etc.
thats a nice effect, i will try that :D but what can i do about turning ?
In my snowboarding game I use a virtual rope that connects the camera to the character. The virtual rope was essentially a verlet mass-spring system using fixed timesteps and because of the springs it never felt too tight. The camera's position was the end of the rope and its direction was always the vector from the end node to the second or third node depending on its length. The benefit of this system is that if you stopped quickly enough, the camera would actually get whipped ahead of the player and facing backward and it was a neat effect, but it may not be desirable for you.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement