Sign in to follow this  

bad framebuffer?

This topic is 3861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ive been trying to research framebuffer objects. ive found a bunch of tutorials and source examples. whenever i try to compile the examples nothing shows up on the texture. ive downloaded examples from FBO 101, codesampler.com, and flashbang.se. any ideas of what could be going wrong? im running an X850, core 2 duo, and 2gb of ddr2. any ideas of what could be causing the problem? if anybody has full source code that uses FBOs ill be more than happy to test your code and see if it runs (as long as it runs on your rig). hopefully that will help me narrow it down.

Quote:
Original post by _neutrin0_
ATI/AMD OpenGL drivers can be broken at times.

I think I should rephrase, I meant, ATI/AMD OpenGL drivers can be broken, period! There have been similar complaints (on this site) in the recent past regarding FBOs on ATI drivers. (Use the search)

All I can say is, if none of the FBO examples you have downloaded are working, then there is a good chance the drivers are buggy. We had similar problems, where different ATI cards seem to behave very differently w.r.t. FBO support even with latest drivers. Not all cards have problems, but some do.

Yes the examples should work on NV cards provided they support FBO extensions.

well i submitted the problem to ati, its doubtful they will respond to it. hopefully they will resolve this soon. anybody else who reads this, can you please submit this problem too?

Quote:
Original post by phantom
For the record, I developed the FBO articles on this site using an ATI X1900XT card on WinXP x64, so they should work without a problem on ATI and NV hardware (as I had some one test them on NV stuff for me).

ive tried compiling it with my x850 with no luck. it compiles and runs (with some changes like getting rid of cstdlib. it conflicts with glut) but the FBO doesnt return an image.

believe me, i trust your coding skills.

Quote:
Original post by phantom
For the record, I developed the FBO articles on this site using an ATI X1900XT card on WinXP x64, so they should work without a problem on ATI and NV hardware (as I had some one test them on NV stuff for me).

Unfortunately, this means nothing. If you recall our recent discussions about the ATI FBO problems, I mentioned that we got widely different results across different ATI chipsets, even when using the exact same driver. For example, the X1600 seems to be unaffected by the order you bind the attachements to the FBO, while the V5250 crashes if you don't bind the colour attachments before the depth.

Now, if nothing at all shows up, as in the OPs case, then this is a little suspicious. Adam, are you sure you didn't do a mistake somewhere ? Maybe modified the driver settings in some unusual way ? Or changed something vital in the source, without being aware of it ?

Try to not compile the demos yourself (since as you said, you changed them), but run the precompiled binaries instead. Try the FBO demo from ATI's SDK, the one with the bunny on the chessboard (IIRC). Everybody here should have that one, so we have a common testing base. I can verify that this demo runs on almost all ATI cards I have tried. Try it, and report back.

when i run the binaries that come with the SDK i get nothing but artifacts. some of the binaries actually crash my computer (such as the 3Dc demo, parallax mapping, and soft shadowing demos).

ok, i tried to compile and run the FBO program (with no changes to it) and here is what i get. on first compile:

here is the error i get on the second compile or when i switch options with F1:

any ideas? im starting to think my card is breaking down. its never been overclocked so thats out.

Are you running Vista? I am not too sure if ATI drivers for OpenGL under Vista are ready as yet (please correct me if I am wrong). That could be the issue right there.

What about DirectX? Have you tried running DirectX applications? If DX apps run fine then it is definitely the OpenGL driver. If they also show the same weirdness, then most likely your card has a defect.

Quote:
Original post by _neutrin0_
Are you running Vista? I am not too sure if ATI drivers for OpenGL under Vista are ready as yet (please correct me if I am wrong). That could be the issue right there.

Assuming he is running the Cat7.4 drivers then there should be no problem at all as that is what I'm running on Vista and ATI's OGL drivers are better than the XP ones (lack of PBOs currently not withstanding)

ok, i ran a bunch of the dx demos and they ran flawlessly (with the exception of demos with the 3.0 shader models) and all of the opengl apps give nothing but artifacts. ive run some games (which i assume use opengl) like ut2k4, medal of honor allied assault, hl2, doom3, and quake4. ut, mohaa, hl2 and doom will run but quake4 will not. as for my opengl development, it runs fine whenever i dont use FBOs.

This topic is 3861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.