Sign in to follow this  

VTune. lmao

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just installed an eval of Vtune for the 5th time in my career. This time I was really really really determined to do some radical shit. What I imagined was that I'd run it, tell it to profile my app, then show me some code spikes I could look at optimising. God, what an imbecile. 5th time in my career I find myself uninstalling it without ever having seen a word on the screen I recognise from my source code. Please don't suggest I read the manual - I shouldn't need one. All that extra shit to justify the laughable price tag is what should be hidden, not the freakin source timings !!! I honestly can't believe how much I hate this program. There will never ever be a 6th time even if someone here tells me it's all just one button away. I will not be installing it again. The authors of this crock of shite should be taken out into a field and shot. In the belly. So, anyone got a recommendation for a profiler that just fucking works ? </munk on>

Clearly you aren't doing really heavy perf spec'ing so why not just google for a code profiler, or perhaps write your own? It's really not that hard to write code profiling into your app that spits out some kind of meaningful information in your given context.

VTune is a fantastic profiler, you're inability to use it isn't really a fault of the software. Of course you can't use it properly if you don't take the time to understand it.

It's generally understood that if you're doing profiling that actually requires an app with the robustness of VTune you are capable of taking the time required to understand it.

Quote:
VTune is a fantastic profiler, you're inability to use it isn't really a fault of the software. Of course you can't use it properly if you don't take the time to understand it.

I disagree, though I don't want to get into a big argument over it. Metrowerks CATS was a user friendly profiler, whereas VTune is so user UNfriendly that I couldn't figure out how to get my code spikes on the screen. That is badly written software in my book. RTFM should be for advanced stuff and "also" features. I expect a profilers default view to show me the money without clicking a damn thing. I got what I wanted out of a console profiler over a remote connection by clicking two clearly labelled icons - no manual ever consulted. I shouldn't need to "take time to understand it" - it's a profiler, there should be nothing to understand.

Here's how it should work: (Like all others I've ever used)

"Run App"
"Terminate App"
"Here is a source view of your functions sorted by preference. On the left, cycles. On the right, cache"
"We're done. Go optimise something"

I intend to do some very heavy profiling, thanks. We mainly develop console stuff so I'm not usually bothered about the PC version. Pix for 360 has a CPU profiler (for free) that's way better presented than VTune, for example, and I do most of my work there. However, we've now got to do a PC build so I need to clean up my act a little.

Quote:
It's generally understood that if you're doing profiling that actually requires an app with the robustness of VTune you are capable of taking the time required to understand it.

I don't really understand what you mean by "robust", but no - I don't want a profiler with all those widgets in it. I've got no interest at all what might be happening on some O/S thread as I can do nothing about it. I just want to see where I can speed my code up. If there's a better product for just this, then that's why I posted - I would like to buy it.

I'm just about prepared to admit that my hatred of this program might be centred around my own misconception that it's main job is to point out my crap routines and memory thrashing. If it's been build for more than that, then great, but I still don't want it. I certainly don't want to pay for it.

Quote:
Original post by DEhrman
VTune is a fantastic profiler, you're inability to use it isn't really a fault of the software....

Really so it's not the case that it is bad user interface design then?

I have use the community devpartner profiler(old version not the new time limited one) with vs7, I have also used the pro verion and yet they do not require the user to jump through hoops to see your data.

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.